The Accounting Specialist is responsible for various accounting and bookkeeping functions of the Company, including but not limited to bank reconciliations, trust accounting, deposits and banking functions, invoicing, data entry, period-end close and reporting, tax, payroll, and general ledger reconciliations. Supports the accounting function and leadership team on the finance, accounting, insurance, and planning functions. Ensures financial and management reporting in support of the Company’s operations and is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles in the United States (“GAAP”) and applicable tax, regulatory and practices appropriate to the Company .
Essential Duties and Job Responsibilities:
- Accounting related activities on a daily, weekly, monthly, and ad hoc basis, including:
- Reconciliation of Company bank accounts, payroll, general, savings, and associated entries in accounting software
- Daily trust accounting functions, including positive pay, reconciliation, wire confirmations
- Maintenance of bank relationships and systems, including signature cards, bank account agreements, and online banking services
- Bank deposits, including posting to remote deposit systems and accounting software
- Maintenance of vendor files, enters billings, and processes accounts payable weekly and at period end
- Recording, obtaining approvals, and processing of accounts payable, check requests/claims, and expense claims in a timely manner
- Order and production tracking
- Processing of payroll, including recording journal entries and checks into accounting software with each payroll
- Reconciliation of general ledger accounts and researching discrepancies
- 1099 reporting
- Adheres to company policies and guidelines
- Assists with and supports planning, developing, organizing, implementing, directing, and evaluating Company accounting, finance, tax, risk management, and audit functions
- Participates in evaluating, advising, and implementation of special projects, which may include introduction of new programs/strategies; significant initiatives, capital expenditures, vendors; and regulatory actions
- Supports the finance group by providing timely and accurate analysis and work product
- Recommends enhancements to improve the effectiveness of policies, procedures, systems, and processes of the organization to enhance the organization’s effectiveness and efficiency
- Maintain documentation of the Company’s financial internal control structure and advise leadership in finance, human resource, and risk management functions
- Providing technical financial expertise and knowledge to others within the Company
- Maintenance and support of management of the budgeting and long-range financial planning process
- Works to optimize bank and deposit relationships while implementing strategies that enhance cash position and risk management. This includes management and accounting for trust and related deposit relationships in a safe and sound manner while meeting applicable regulatory and underwriter requirements as well as industry best practice.
- Communicate with the Vice President of Escrow Operations and President on the implementation escrow/trust accounting policies, procedures, and operations, including, but not limited to opening and administering trust accounts, wire transfer operations, daily and monthly bank reconciliation and implementation of strong internal controls related to these activities.
- Assist in reporting requirements with external underwriters, vendors, regulators, as well as the board of directors and shareholders.
- Assist with documentation and maintenances of insurance coverage to support renewals to ensuring adequate coverages are maintained.
- Maintaining corporate records
- Performing other work-related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- Energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high ethical standards, an appropriate professional image, and strong technical skills, judgment, and a sense of urgency
- Preferred 2 years’ experience in accounting related industry, public accounting
- Preferred B.S. (or higher) degree in accounting, finance, or related field)
- CPA designation a plus.
- Strong oral and written communications skills. Ability to manage multiple projects at a time
- Ability to effectively manage multiple problems and tasks concurrently.
- Even disposition and maintains a sense of humor under difficult circumstances.
- Ability to view new situations and problems positively and as an opportunity to learn something new and contribute to the success of the team.
- Responds to constructive criticism and coaching without allowing emotions to come into play.
- Sit for prolonged periods.
- Use hands and/or fingers to pick up, grasp, and sort.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities include close and peripheral vision and the ability to focus and identify/distinguish colors.
This position requires the ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents related to business, accounting and business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, business plans, as well as governmental regulations related to the industry. The ability to communicate in writing and orally in an effective manner is necessary. It is also necessary to effectively present information and respond to questions from group of leaders, customers, shareholders, vendors, members of the press, and the public.
Ability to work with basic mathematical concepts of basic algebra, statistics, discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, statistics and percentages. The ability to apply concepts us as fractions, percentages, ratios, proportions, and probability to practical situations and forecasts.
Proficiency in the use of the following or similar software programs including Excel, and Word, PowerPoint. Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel. Prefer experience with Paylocity, Quickbooks Online and/or ERP systems in an enterprise environment. Likewise, the ability to use a personal computer, multi-line phone system, copy/fax/scanning machines, and printers. Basic typing skills are also important.
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those a team member encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Additionally, travel to branch, customer, vendor, or event locations are required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.