MeatEater, Inc. is seeking a highly-motivated and creative person to join our team as a Senior Product Developer. The ideal candidate should have a passion for and extensive experience with creating next-level, highly technical, waterproof, breathable, windproof, insulated outerwear utilizing a variety of materials. This experience should also include knowledge of other categories, including knits, base layers and non-apparel items, such as packs, gloves & bags. Candidates must possess exceptional technical expertise in advanced garment construction, fit, pattern making, and textile development while also being able to combine these skills with a progressive mindset that seeks to create unique, thoughtfully designed, differentiated products that deliver with purpose and versatility.
The Senior Product Developer will build fully resolved solutions in alignment with the original intent and vision of the product design. By working closely with the Product Line Managers and Designers, the Developer is responsible for executing Designer concepts from prototyping to final sample, with the express intent of bringing world-class technical apparel and gear to market, ensuring it consistently exceeds customer expectations of quality and performance, while adhering to the First Lite Development Calendar.
This position reports to Pat Beernink, Director of Development.
- Utilizing Project Briefs and Designer Tech Packs to produce production-level, fully resolved outerwear insulative garments, or other categories as defined by the Business units, along with the supporting documentation to make construction repeatable in a production environment
- Utilizing product briefs and Designer direction to see projects through to completion by creating, communicating, and documenting new concepts, construction processes, techniques and manufacturing solutions that meet First Lite product ideals
- Ensuring accurate execution of fit intent and fit consistency through clear analysis, documentation, communication, adherence to fit standards, and use of block patterns. Ability to take the lead at Fit Sessions and provide support to other Developers
- Utilizing existing and assisting with the development of new standards to ensure consistency across the entire product line, including PLM System protocols and costing tools, as well as tracking & managing workflow
- Driving design for manufacturing principles early in product creation process & collaborating with internal teams to identify and implement improvements within existing product lines
- Managing costing exercises, fit reviews, and efficiency meetings for assigned portfolio of products
- Collaborating cross-functionally with Patternmaking, Development, Category Management, and external Design and Materials Management to ensure alignment with brand goals and product brief objectives
- Coordinating & managing large scale projects or updates
- Identifying areas of improvement and recommending improvements in process and structure of Development to assist Development Director in ongoing improvement of Department
- Ensure raw materials of assigned projects are confirmed and communicated to Operations for on-time purchasing in-line with product lifecycle calendar
- Creating, publishing, and maintaining detailed specification records for products throughout the development process
- Leading all daily communications with vendors, suppliers, and factories to respond to problems as they arise
- Other duties as beneficial to MeatEater
- 15+ years working in technical outerwear development environment
- Degree in Apparel/Textile Design or a related field, or equivalent industry experience
- Strong sewing, building and pattern making skills
- Proficient in PLM system
- High level of proficiency in Adobe Illustrator
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with the ability to pick up new computer applications quickly
- Working knowledge of design and development process from inception through to final adoption
- Thorough understanding of trims and textile manufacturing; including dyeing, finishing, printing, molding, etc.
- Executive level development acumen to interact professionally while communicating across broader organization
- Excellent organizational skills
- Highly flexible and adaptable when faced with ambiguity, able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Follow through on assignments independently
- Excellent teaming, influencing, and interpersonal skills
- Creative, proven self-starter
- Equally passionate about creating apparel for the outdoors as well as getting out and experiencing it
- Ability to travel up to 40%, International travel required, must be able to work occasional off hours when required