ABOUT 10,000 DEGREES:
10,000 Degrees is a leading college success nonprofit organization in California that helps low-income and first-generation students get to and through college. Founded in 1981, the organization provides a comprehensive wrap-around program that includes college prep, mentoring, college and financial counseling, scholarships and financial aid management.
10,000 Degrees has helped thousands of students get to and successfully graduate college. Over 80% of 10,000 Degrees students starting at 4-year college graduate far exceeding national averages, and our students starting at community college transfer and graduate with their baccalaureate at three times the national average. 10,000 Degrees is a top-rated organization that has received numerous awards and recognition for effectiveness and efficiency, including the top rating from Charity Navigator.
The Regional Director, Peninsula and South Bay is a critical position to help us continue our growth momentum and help us build opportunity for more students in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have raised meaningful funding to expand our programming in San Jose and are seeking a motivated, goal-oriented individual to help us (1) secure funding to launch our programming in the Peninsula and (2) build a strong base of resources for the future in support of the whole region.
The Development Director is an integral position on the Development Team, reporting to the Chief Development Officer. The Development Director will focus on fundraising initiatives targeting individual donors to help us continue our growth momentum and help us build opportunity for more students in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have raised meaningful funding to expand our programming in San Jose and are seeking a motivated, goal-oriented individual to help us (1) secure funding to launch our programming in the Peninsula and (2) build a strong base of resources in support of the region. This position will work closely with the Regional Director, Silicon Valley Partnerships that is focused on growing support from corporate and institutional partners.
10,000 Degrees offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 401(k), 15-day vacation plan, 10 paid holidays, and sick leave.
This position will be based in San Mateo or Santa Clara County and will allow for working from home. Twice monthly meetings at the 10,000 Degrees headquarters located in San Rafael will be expected.
- Develop specific strategies to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major individual donor prospects to advance regional and organization-wide fund development opportunities and meet fundraising goals;
- Manage a regional portfolio of donors and prospective donors through all aspects of moves management and fundraising best practices including meeting prospective funders on a continual basis to understand their philanthropic goals,finding ways to effectively connect them to our mission and securing support via impactful gifts;
- Develop strategy, event planning, and outreach to major individual donors for regional donor events;
- Facilitate bimonthly regional advisory board meetings to inform, engage, and connect members with 10,000 Degrees mission;
- Recruit new advisory board members to grow the Peninsula and South Bay Regional Advisory Boards with a goal of network building, increasing mission visibility, and resource generation capacities of the board;
- Proactively support the Peninsula and South Bay Advisory Boards, ensuring regular touch-points, cultivating their prospect lists, and building relationships with their networks;
- In collaboration with the Chief Development Officer, Regional Director, Silicon Valley Partnerships; and the Peninsula and South Bay Advisory Boards; develop a regional fundraising plan and targets in order to meet current and future programmatic and scholarship goals;
- In partnership with the Director of Communications and Marketing, develop a local communications plan to increase visibility of 10,000 Degrees mission and to support Peninsula and South Bay development efforts;
- Work with the Director of Programs to develop and maintain regional program growth dashboards, to be used with the Advisory Boards and with major donors to demonstrate impact growth in the Peninsula and South Bay;
- Represent 10,000 Degrees at philanthropic, advocacy, community, and development events;
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to align regional strategies and opportunities with broader organizational goals and related initiatives.
The successful candidate will be an energetic leader, excellent communicator and listener who is effectively able to connect major individual donors with 10,000 Degrees educational equity mission. A goal-oriented focus is essential, with in-depth knowledge of the Peninsula and South Bay fundraising landscape. A solid track record with experience in major philanthropist prospecting, cultivation and stewardship development is a key qualification. They will also have the skills necessary to cultivate and engage top donors in a way that is aligned with 10,000 Degrees overall mission, values, and goals. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and impeccable judgment are required. In addition, the ability to work cohesively and collaboratively with donors, board members, and other team members will be critical.
Specific qualifications include:
- BA/BS required
- 5+ years of fundraising experience required
- An energetic, positive person who is an active connector in the community
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, listening, and collaboration skills
- Experience with Salesforce preferred
- An unrelenting commitment to social justice
- Proven ability to work with diverse populations
- Excellent presentation skills including oral and written communication
- Ability to think strategically with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Self-starter who can multitask in a fluid work environment
A resume and cover letter are required to apply.