SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Cook/Chef & Instructor I (one) helps to facilitate training throughout all kitchen functions and food service work initiatives. Assists the Food Services team with the preparation and provision of meals and quality hospitality services for Springs Rescue Mission (SRM), its’ programs, clients and the community of Colorado Springs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assists in the training of SRM Culinary Arts students through SRM work initiatives:
o Ministers and encourages, promotes growth and development of students/residents and shelter guests; facilitates teamwork, time management, and problem resolution.
o Supports Culinary Arts Program students and contribute toward their interpersonal growth in a Christian environment
• Prepares meals through culinary arts training to serve SRM guests, clients and residents.
• Training and overseeing various levels of volunteers
o Communicates effectively and cheerfully with unpaid staff members
• Ensures proper use, cleaning and storage of equipment.
• Assists in food ordering and donations intake; insures proper food handling and storage and proper documentation
• Observes established health and safety standards and procedures, including those of USDA, OSHA and Servsafe
• Inspects kitchen food deliveries upon arrival for freshness and quality.
• Ensures all food service documentation is correctly entered and stored
• Prepares and submits both formal and informal reports and/or presentations to Executive Chef, Management Team, selected external audiences, or other groups as requested.
• Attends internal and external meetings and trainings as requested or expected.
• Supports proper training and recognition of volunteers for their partnership with Springs Rescue Mission and engages them in meaningful work that leverages volunteers as a resource.
• Additional duties as requested.
• High School degree or equivalent required
• Minimum three years’ experience supervising/cooking in a professional kitchen.
• ServSafe certified preferred. Will need certificate within 6 months of employment.
• Associates degree from an accredited institution or equivalent applicable work experience
• American Culinary Federation or National Restaurant Association affiliation a plus
• Previous experience working with homeless, addicted, mentally ill highly desirable
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
• Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and is a constant witness. Christ-centered and compassionate attitude in dealing with people including the homeless and faithfully upholds and exemplifies SRM’s Statement of Faith
• Serves as an advocate for the homeless and raising awareness of the needs and concern for the addicted, and those in poverty; engaging others within one’s influence of greater involvement and effectiveness on behalf of this population in Colorado Springs.
• Believes that volunteers are vital to accomplishing the Vision and Mission of Springs Rescue Mission and thus is part of mobilizing the community in the fight against addiction, poverty and homelessness
• Strong leadership skills
• Extensive cooking knowledge and hands on experience
• Able to instruct culinary arts through hands on demonstration
• Exemplifies Christian character
• Knowledge of critical food safety and handling practices as outlined in the National Restaurant Associations, ServeSafe practices along with any state, county and city regulations
• Able to cook tasteful meals with attractive presentations while following standard recipes and procedures.
• Good eye-hand motor skills
• Able to be precise, careful, and safety conscious
• Ability to clearly communicate through written and verbal communication
• Promote teamwork and apply problem solving skills
• Able to work with diverse groups of people, treating all with dignity and respect
• Computer literate: knowledgeable in Word, Excel, Power Point and capable of learning new computer programs
• Knowledge of 12-steps/recovery/mental illness preferred
• Valid Colorado driver’s license
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL FACTORS
Occasionally = 1%-33%; Frequently = 34%-66%; Continuously = 67%-100%
Standing: Frequently Lifting: Frequently, up to 50 lbs
Reaching: Frequently Bending: Frequently
Climbing: Occasionally Carrying: Frequently
Requires good manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination
The Food Services Coordinator is required to perform all of the above on a continuous, rotational basis.
• Industrial slicer/mixers/food preparation equipment
• Grill/fryer/hood suppression system
• Chef’s knives
• POS System