Department: Museum Operations
Schedule: Part-Time (15-25 Hours)
Reports to: Associate Director of Visitor Experience
The International Center of Photography (ICP) is the world’s leading institution dedicated to photography and visual culture. Through our exhibitions, education, public programs, and community outreach, we offer an open forum for dialogue about the power of the image. Since our founding in 1974, we have presented more than 700 exhibitions and offered thousands of classes, providing instruction at every level. Our new integrated center on the Lower East Side reunites our school and museum in one space to become the cultural anchor of Essex Crossing.
The International Center of Photography is recruiting engaging individuals with excellent people skills to join our team as Visitor Experience Associates. This position is the main point of contact for the public and must be willing to undertake various duties. The team member is expected to exhibit excellent visitor service skills at all times.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Proactively greet, assist, and engage ICP visitors, in a professional and inviting manner
- Handle ticket sales: conducting monetary and credit card transactions, and generating sales reports as needed
- Handle shop sales: conduction monetary and credit card transactions, stocking shelves and maintaining a clean environment.
- Handle cafe sales: serving beverages and food, conducting monetary and credit card transactions, restocking product and taking inventory, maintaining a clean environment
- Enhance every person's visit to ICP by providing detailed and accurate information and directions, and by speaking to ICP’s exhibitions, classes and public programs.
- Promote ICP membership and other ways people can support our mission
- Help with special events as needed
ICP is committed to equal-opportunity employment. We believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion are values that are integral to offering an open forum for dialogue around photography and visual culture that is open to all. Through this lens, we hope to engage, educate, and inspire our visitors, students, and community at large. We welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds and look forward to receiving your application.
- Previous Visitor Experience in a museum, gallery, retail, hospitality, or cultural institution preferred but not required
Additional Competency Requirement (Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Active Listening - Give full attention, take time to understand, respond appropriately
- Communication skills- ability to communicate effectively, in both spoken and written word
- Reliable, dependable and flexible
- Open and welcoming, strong interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working in fast paced environments
- Judgement- recognizing when something/one requires additional attention
- Multilingual a plus
- Photography knowledge a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- The employee is required to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time.
- Day, evening and weekend shifts available.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
ICP provides its staff with a generous benefits package featuring medical, dental, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, pre-tax transit and flexible spending programs, and 403(b) pension plan.