Venture Forthe is a leading health care agency in Western New York that operates on the fundamental premise that every individual has the right to make their own choices; we advocate for the needs and goals of our clients. The clinical department at Venture Forthe focuses on HCBS (Home and Community Based Services)/CORE (Community Orientation Recovery and Empowerment Services) programs under the direction of the Office of Mental Health.
The goal of the CORE/HCBS program derives around the focus of increased behavioral health and addiction recovery through an outpatient system. This includes providing clients with the tools, resources, and skills they can utilize to help in their recovery journey. We can proudly say that we have helped our clients reach milestones such as obtaining a higher education degree, grow relationships with friend and family members and regain the ability to be fully independent in the community.
Peer Support Specialists work closely with individuals in our program to advocate for them in their recovery journey. This includes supporting individuals with their goals and provide guidance to them in a non-clinician geared role. These individuals will work with clients in their home/community to provide this support which could look like a walk in the park or maybe getting a cup of coffee. Peers will have supervisions on either a bi weekly or weekly basis to ensure the goals of the individual are coming to fruition and ensure their own success in the role.
PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST RESPONSIIBILITIES:
- Advocate for clients in their recovery journey
- Provide individualized guidance and support to clients
- Support clients with their goals
- Complete documentation and progress notes after appointments
- Meet with clients in their home/community to provide support
- Bi weekly or weekly supervisions
- Participation in recovery activities (i.e., eating together at a restaurant or attend a social event (concert or recovery celebration event)).
- Provide support with transitional services (i.e., bridge from institutions to home, bridge from general hospitals to home, or bridge from individuals home to community).
Required travel: 100%
PEER SUPPORT SPECIALISTS REQUIREMENTS:
- All Peer Support Specialists MUST be certified as an Office of Mental Health (OMH) Peer Support or Certified Recovery Peer Advocate (CRPA-P).
- At least 18 years of age
- Must identify as being actively in recovery from a mental health condition or major life disruption ( as an event or series of events that leads to interruption in one’s health, home, purpose or community) and self-disclose one’s mental health recovery journey
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Satisfactory writing ability
- Local Travel Required
CUSTOMER SERVICE/INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- Maintains appropriate office presence;
- Responsible and cooperative with participants/families, supervisors, fellow employees, and providers;
- Maintains friendly working atmosphere;
- Maintains professional attitude;
- Maintains professional appearance;
- Accepts constructive criticism as evidenced by appropriate changes in behavior;
- Utilizes established channels of communication;
- Recognizes, accepts and respects people as individuals; and
- Recognizes limitations and seeks assistance appropriately.
- Assists other employees where needed
Venture Forthe Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind: Venture Forthe, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.