GIS Technical Specialist (Fully Remote)
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect 7 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
The geographic information systems (GIS) Technical Specialist will report to the GIS Manager and be part of the AFT national Land Use and Protection Research initiative. The successful candidate will help across the organization to compile, analyze, and present spatial data to support the long-term protection of the nation’s agricultural resources.
Primarily, this position will lead data visualization efforts to best communicate AFT’s completed projects related to the valuation of America’s farmland while assisting in other geoprocessing needs. This work directly informs local and federal policymakers and stakeholders dedicated to agricultural conservation and protection. This position is for a 2-year term with renewal thereafter based on available funding.
The successful candidate will:
- Conduct original collection, maintenance, quality control, and visualization of geospatial data.
- Develop and maintain supporting relationships with key partners.
- Respond to needs of AFT staff for maps that support targeting lands for agricultural protection.
- Coordinate data exchange with national, state, and local land protection and monitoring organizations
- Present results of geospatial products to AFT staff and partners
- Assist AFT’s GIS Manager and other staff with spatial analyses, cartography, and other data visualization tasks.
- Provide support for staff training in the uses and limitations of GIS analyses.
- Other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS-related discipline
- Competent using ESRI products (ArcPro, ArcGIS online)
- Familiarity with querying data and integrating data flows using Python and ArcGIS
- Comprehensive knowledge of basic principles of cartography
- Experience conducting spatial analysis with both raster and vector data using common geoprocessing tools
- Able to analyze and manage large tabular datasets and join to spatial data
- Demonstrated skills in digital map making
- Basic skills in graphic design
- 1-2 years applying GIS in a professional setting.
- Prior experience using ArcGIS Online web tools including StoryMaps, Experience Builder, Survey123, Dashboards, etc.
- Understanding of statistical analysis techniques
- Knowledge of and experience using datasets relating to agriculture or natural resources
- Work samples that demonstrate skill in cartography and data visualization
Position will remain open until filled. Evaluations of applications will begin 10/30.
Salary range for this position is $45,000 - $50,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications.
American Farmland Trust offers a full benefits package:
- Medical & Prescription Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Company Paid Life Insurance & Long-Term Disability (LTD)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) – Healthcare & Dependent Care
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Sick Leave: Regular full-time employees accrue 3.5 hours per pay period (13 “sick days” per
- Vacation Leave: Accrue 15 days during the first year increasing by one day per year to 20 days per
- Holidays: The Company observes the following fixed eleven holidays during the year (all
- offices closed): plus, choice of 3 other floating holidays depending on hiring date.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.