AFG is seeking a highly analytical and experienced Senior Research Analyst to join their team. This role will have primary coverage of select equity and fixed income asset classes, and generalist knowledge of other asset classes covered by the Team. The AFG Research Team primarily covers mutual funds, but ETFs and separately managed accounts are considered as well.
The candidate will lead discussions with fund company representatives, including portfolio managers, and thoughtfully communicate their thoughts with other team members. Mentoring junior members of the team will also be part of this role. This position is part of an experienced and knowledgeable team that prides itself on consistently exceeding client expectations.
This position will require travel on an occasional basis to meet with investment managers and attend conferences. This role will enjoy a hybrid schedule that will be in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania office during the orientation and training period. Once fully trained this position will spend three days a week in the Pittsburgh office.
A typical day will include a mix of the following duties and responsibilities:
Investment Manager Research:
- Serve as a generalist on the Research Team conducting due diligence of new and existing investment managers. The role will assume primary coverage of roughly ten equity and fixed income asset classes. This includes running proprietary quantitative scoring and leading qualitative discussions.
- Experience conducting an investment search, leading meetings with portfolio managers to dissect important aspects of their investment strategy, and making investment recommendations is a must for this position.
- Understanding and explaining how each recommended investment strategy plays a role in a diversified portfolio is an important skill in this role.
- Strong written and oral communication skills are required to professionally present ideas to the Research Team and communicate the team’s thoughts to financial advisors and their planning teams.
- Produce ad-hoc requests in a clear and timely fashion.
- Strong analytical and data manipulation abilities are preferred (Excel, Power Query, VBA). Coding abilities are a plus.
- Assist in developing a database to track the long-term quantitative scores of mutual funds.
- Ability to manipulate large data sets and present them in a concise manner.
- Document meeting notes into OneNote.
- Updating monthly/quarterly economic and mutual fund reports
You might be a great match for this position if you have:
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from a four-year college or university and five or more years of investment manager research experience.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation required.
- Display leadership qualities and the ability to take independent initiative and demonstrate critical thinking skills.
- A strong attention to detail mindset with a focus on accuracy, initiative, and follow-through.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to effectively present thoughts and ideas.
- Strong Microsoft Office 365 skills, with specific focus on Excel. Must have previous experience in creating and modifying spreadsheet formulas and macros.
What AFG Offers:
- A comprehensive benefits package that includes medical (2 plan options), dental, vision, core and buy-up life insurance, short and long-term disability coverage and company funded flexible spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off program.
- A best-in-class 401K plan with online planning and reporting tools.
- Wellness program with additional time off rewards.
- Easily accessible office with free parking for onsite days.
Allegheny Financial Group, LTD is an SEC-registered investment advisory firm that offers clients guidance in every aspect of their financial life, including financial planning, portfolio management, market analysis, risk management, and business and estate planning. As a firm that pioneered financial planning in Pittsburgh, Allegheny has earned clients' trust for over 45 years with a high degree of personal attention combined with specialized knowledge, an integrated team-based approach, and first-class market research. For more information, go to Allegheny Financial Group