Department: Camp Administration
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Office Based (home office if Denver based), residential during camp, travel
Status: Full-time, Year-round
Schedule: Weekdays, weekends, evenings, holidays
The Chief Mission Officer (CMO) advances the mission of Roundup River Ranch and assists the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in carrying out the vision of creating opportunities for children living with serious illnesses to experience limitless joys of childhood. This position is responsible for strategic oversight and management of the following key operational areas: medical, camp programing (on- and off-site), staffing, direct care of campers, psychosocial health, food services and emergency planning. The CMO leads strategic initiatives and partnerships, supports revenue diversification, develops and oversees education and leadership training opportunities for full-time and seasonal staff and volunteers. Additional responsibilities include close coordination and collaboration with camper and volunteer recruitment and engagement, fundraising, finance, facilities, risk management, human resources, and marketing.
The CMO thrives in leading a professional, positive and dynamic team with a focus on creating serious fun for campers with a fierce commitment to organizational Guideposts. The CMO is dedicated to long-term vision and strategy while ensuring excellence in camper, staff, volunteer and other stakeholder experiences.
Essential Job Functions:
Vision & Strategy
- Ensure all work focuses on the strategic plan and annual organizational goals.
- Partner with the CEO in developing and carrying out strategic plan initiatives (planning in process; 2024-2026 plan to be approved by Jan. 2024) including, not limited to: expansion of hospital-based, on- and off-site programming (e.g., young adult programming); youth mental health related camp programming and supports; potential revenue generating utilization of the campsite; campsite expansions (e.g., new cabins, pavilion, low ropes, challenge course improvements, equestrian program enhancement); corporate social responsibility partnership models.
- Work closely with the CEO to develop and steward strategic partnerships and relationships with board members, donors, key volunteers, community leaders, and other organizations.
- In partnership with the VP of Advancement and Director of Communications and Marketing, elevate impact messaging across all campaigns, grant proposals, collateral and events to increase revenue and partnership opportunities.
- Work in collaboration with other Roundup River Ranch directors to ensure overall synergy and coordination of strategic and operational initiatives, including serving as primary contact to development staff to ensure synergy between fundraising and operations and support donor reporting and stewardship.
- Oversee and proactively increase widespread awareness for Roundup River Ranch and SeriousFun Children’s Network through local, state, and national involvement including speaking, writing, volunteerism, etc.
Mission Delivery & Outcomes
- Oversee the development of all areas of camp including the implementation of proven strategies and best practices to support the emotional, social, and behavioral needs of campers, families, staff, and volunteers, ensuring they always fully support the medical needs of campers with a focus on intentionality, safety and fun.
- Coordinate the collection of internal outcome measures and formal research.
- Develop metrics and key performance indicators to track progress towards organizational goals and strategic plan initiatives.
- Prepare regular reports for the CEO, board, funders and other stakeholders highlighting achievements and areas for improvement.
- Oversee mission and program expansion to enrich camper experiences and increase the number of campers served.
- Enhance the education, leadership and professional development opportunities at camp for campers, staff and volunteers in support of the mission and to enhance strategic partnerships and strengthen “people power” pipelines.
- Develop and oversee the Outreach Program (e.g., Seacrest Studios, Joy Delivered, Camp in Your Community) strategy for a sustainable, mission-supportive programming array.
- Support strategic initiatives related to youth mental health supports of campers and the deepening and potential expansion of mental health related programming.
Operations & Compliance
- Maintain best practices and compliance of the State of Colorado requirements, SeriousFun Children’s Network criteria and American Camp Association standards in all areas of camp operations.
- In coordination with Human Resources support the hiring, training, supervision, and support of camp programming full-time staff, seasonal staff, and volunteers.
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality in all aspects of role, including all medical information and records.
- Oversee all operational camp budgets including camp administration, program, food service and medical.
- Oversee risk management for all camp operations (on- and off- site) and ensure policies, procedures and partnerships are in place at all times in compliance with SFCN Safety Standards, ACA Standards of Certification, and state/county regulations as applicable.
- Advise and serve a spokesperson for crisis communication as needed.
- Serve as an ambassador for Roundup River Ranch at events on and off site.
- Serve as a property host by providing after hours support including carrying the gate phone, collecting mail on the weekends, keeping an eye out for emergencies, serving as on call after hours support, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience designing and facilitating outcome-based experiences.
- Experience hiring, supervising, and managing a dynamic team.
- Positive communication, supervision, and support skills.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills.
- Ability to quickly prioritize and work within deadlines.
- Demonstrates the Guideposts in all aspects of work.
- Interest and ability to partner and collaborate with others.
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively.
- Proven organization and administrative abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or similar work experience required
- Degree or experience in related field required (education, recreational therapy, recreation, child life, etc).
- Minimum of 6 years management or leadership experience.
- Computer proficiency and practical experience in word processing, database and internet navigation.
- Preferred minimum 5 years’ experience in a residential camp, preferably medical or related camp environment.
Office Based/Indoors: 75%+
Desk/Computer Work: 75%+
Lifting/Carrying: Up to 20lbs
Company Vehicles: Drives others
Special Conditions: This is a full-time, year-round position with significant time demands while camp is in session. The CMO is expected to have a residential presence at the Roundup River Ranch campsite in Gypsum, Colorado when camp is in session (including traditional camps, family camps and any day camp or weekend retreats). This position requires some on-call duties overnight and in between camp sessions. Roundup River Ranch believes in wellness and work life balance. The CMO will be scheduled for one or more nights off during camp sessions and time off in between camp sessions. During this scheduled time-off, this position is encouraged to leave site and enjoy time off; however, please note that when campers are on site, this position may be called back in the event of an emergency. The year-round camp office is in Gypsum at the camp site.
The scope of the job and responsibilities outlined in this document are not exhaustive and may change based upon the needs of the business. This job description is not intended to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. This is a general outline of duties, responsibilities, and activities, which may change at any time with or without notice and at the sole discretion of Roundup River Ranch.