Denver Scholarship Foundation (DSF) is seeking a passionate, driven individual with the desire to learn, grow, and excel in a culture that values every member of the team. In 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2023 DSF was named one of the Denver’s Top Workplaces, a testament to our team and to our intentionality in co-creating a positive, inclusive work environment. In 2022, DSF was named one of the Best and Brightest Companies to work for by the National Association for Business Resources. When you join the DSF team, you will enjoy a supportive, and innovative environment where your work has a profound impact on the lives of students and their families.
As a nonprofit organization, DSF’s mission is to inspire and empower DPS students to enroll in and graduate from postsecondary institutions of higher education, by providing the tools, knowledge, and financial resources essential for success. By embodying the core values of equity, innovation, leadership, learning, relationships, and integrity in everything we do, DSF strives to be a leader within the community. As we constantly seek to improve our services, we build strong relationships with college staff members, partners, students, team members and the broader community. We are committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion, believing in the value and ability of all students and team members.
We seek candidates who will model, live, and reinforce DSF’s mission and core values with colleagues, students, families, and the broader community. If you are passionate about the philosophy and mission of DSF, then we invite you to join us and help make college possible for Denver's students.
The Director of Finance plays a central role in the leadership of the finance and accounting activities. While working with the CFO to manage the priorities of the finance team, the Director of Finance is responsible for managing day-to-day accounting, finance, and tax related operations for a budget of over $16 million. This hands-on position supervises the accountant position.
- Manage all accounting activities, payroll processing, tax, and financial reporting, ensuring compliance with policies, procedures, appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Tracking, preparation, and completion of investment activity entries on a monthly/quarterly basis.
- Assessment and maintenance of internal controls and safeguards for financial and budget systems.
- Manages timely month-end and year-end close processes.
- Maintain and prepare accurate financial statements.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain ongoing cash flow/spending analysis for grants, projects, and organization as a whole.
- Coordinate and support external audit (including single audit) and 990 completion to include preparation and review of supporting documentation.
- Coordinate and support the annual budgeting and planning process; prepare and maintain tools to move the budget process from start to finish.
- Ensure systems to maintain files and supporting documents for accounts payable, receivable, payroll, and accounting entries are in place and maintained.
- Serve as system administrator for accounting and budgeting software systems including ongoing maintenance of system and staying current with quarterly system enhancements/updates.
- Analyze financial information and prepare informative dashboards.
- Prepare budgets and reports for funding opportunities, as needed for Development and Program teams.
- Complete yearly named endowment fund reports.
- Track and monitor grants and contract specific budgets to ensure compliance. This includes federal, state, and local government grants.
- Supervise current staff, help clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Analyze and develop financial policies and processes to ensure continual process performance improvement and regulatory compliance.
- Provide guidance and support to executives and directors in the areas of organizational budgeting, spending, expense coding and resource stewardship.
- Serve on the 401(k) committee, ensuring the organization meets its fiduciary responsibilities of plan sponsorship.
- Stay up to date on accounting and regulatory changes from governmental entities.
- Provide DSF’s financial onboarding training to all new hires and ongoing financial process training to all staff.
- Coordinate and support annual business insurance renewal process.
- This position is hybrid role working four days onsite and one day remote.
- Complete all other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and/or experience with finance, grants, and development in a nonprofit setting
- Expert level experience in Sage Intacct
- Experience with Paylocity or other payroll processing software
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Teams, Office, Excel, Work, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Keen analytic, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience effectively communicating key financial data
- Position requires a proven track record of trustworthiness, personal accountability, and exceptional ethics. Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Denver Scholarship’s mission
- A sense of humor, tolerance for change, and a demonstrated ability to create a positive culture
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or relevant field required.
- Minimum five years proven work experience as Controller, Finance Director, or Accounting Manager.
Compensation & Benefits
- $100,000 to $120,000
- 401(k) plan with $ for $ match of up to 5%
- Group health, dental, and vision insurance (low cost premium plans offered)
- Life Insurance that provides 2 times your annual salary
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Paid holidays (includes Winter Break and Summer 1/2 Fridays in June and July) and 2 Floating holidays each year
- Trusted Time Off (unlimited vacation policy following 90 days)
- Paid Maternity and Paternity Leave (Based on Years of Service)
- ID Theft Protection and Will Preparation Assistance
- Legal and Financial Counseling
- Four Professional Wellness Sessions
- Employee Assistance Free and Confidential Counseling Services
Denver Scholarship Foundation provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Learn about DSF’s commitment to Equity & Inclusion.