PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
- Collaborates with the youth ministry team, the Director of Youth Formation and the Pastor to achieve unity of vision and implementation of all levels of youth and young adult ministry; coordinates the recruitment, orientation, basic training, in-service and motivation of team members; actively coordinates the leadership development of youth; organizes and maintains a youth and young adult office; promotes youth and young adults within the parish and wider community; maintains professional competency; participates as a member of the parish staff; performs any other job related tasks deemed necessary and/or assigned by the Pastor.
- Under the direct supervision of the Director of Youth Formation, and in collaboration with the youth ministry team, plans, coordinates, implements, develops and evaluates the EDGE youth ministry programs and Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW), Young Disciples and the Kids Corner that make up the Sunday welcome experience for young children at St Patrick.
DUTIES OF THE JOB:
- Along with the youth ministry team, plans, coordinates, implements, develops and evaluates all facets youth and young adult ministry programs with Edge and Sunday Youth emphasis, by assessing needs of the parish; forming the core team for regular planning sessions and special meetings as necessary; scheduling all classes; providing for the needs of catechists; providing parent education sessions as necessary; assisting youth with the planning and implementation of weekly teen/young adult liturgies in conjunction with the Director of Youth Formation; attending youth functions as necessary; implementing evaluation process of programs; acting as an advocate for youth as appropriate; coordinating and attending retreats as needed.
- Assists in leadership development of youth by encouraging involvement in Life Teen and the EDGE Core Team; forming youth planning teams; publicizing youth attendance at diocesan functions; encouraging involvement in leadership conferences.
- Promotes youth and young adults within the parish and wider community by publicizing youth and young adult programs; keeping abreast of current trends in youth needs; maintaining communication with youth registered in the parish; maintaining contact with schools and other community youth groups.
- Plans exciting and stimulating Children’s Liturgy of the Word and Young Disciples time that includes the Word, music, movement, arts and crafts, storytelling, puppets, skits etc.
- Creates a nurturing atmosphere where the young child can grow in knowledge, example and experience of God’s love.
- Manages scheduling and registration for these programs.
- Recruits, interviews and trains a team of adults and teens to work at these programs.
- Schedules regular team meetings for the purpose of planning, lesson review and evaluation.
- Advertises through the website, bulletin, social media and video at masses.
- Maintains professional competency by being aware of current trends in youth and young adult ministry; continuing education; attending deanery meetings, workshops and in-service as provided.
- Participates as a member of the parish staff by actively participating in the mutual support of all staff members; meets regularly with the Director of Youth Formation and formation team.
- Collaborates with the Pastor, Director of Youth Formation and the formation team, by serving on the planning team for the Youth Liturgy.
- Participates at staff prayer and meetings as able, events or classes as deemed necessary.
- Helps educate the community on the importance of the formation process.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Responsible for continual development and smooth operation of the youth and young adult programs in a mature, efficient and professional manner; maintaining confidentiality and continuous professional development through study, self-examination, and use of supervision.
- Must have good knowledge of adolescent development and youth ministry methods; must be willing to stay current in trends of youth ministry and catechesis of youth; computer literacy preferred.
- Must be able to work under pressure; must be able to work within collaborative ministry with members of parish staff of a growing parish; must be able to anticipate solutions to problems.
- Must keep accurate records on youth; must be dexterous in organizing programs.
- Must be in good health and energetic to participate in youth activities; sits at desk, drives.
- Complete and maintain Diocesan Safe Environment Training as required by the Diocese.
- Abide by Diocesan Youth Ministry policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Catechetics or other related field or a Youth Minister Certificate preferred.
- Three years' experience in ministry preferred.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including some weekends and evenings. Must possess a valid Arizona Driver’s License and own personal transportation. Employee is subject to Diocesan and parish personnel policies prescribed for all personnel.
$45K - $50K depending on experience