Foothills Regional Housing “FRH” is a prominent real estate developer, manager, and program administrator for affordable housing. FRH is currently looking for a Lead Accountant who, in collaboration with the Director of Finance and Accounting, the Lead Accountant, performs professional accounting work, established accounting policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. Responsible for supporting the overall integrity and accuracy of the accounting and financial reporting system in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Analyzes operating performance against plans, trends, budgets, or other standards and provides advice to management as deemed appropriate or requested. This position works frequently with other FRH staff. Works proactively with agency leadership to meet FRH’s goals and objectives.
1. Accounting and Financial Statements:
- Complete all phases of Revenues & Expenditures, General Ledger, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Fixed Asset Management, Balance Sheets, Grants and Contracts Management and Reporting. Assist with Budgeting, and Fiscal Period Closings.
- Cash and cash requirement projections. Intercompany cash balancing and settlement transfers. Treasury and investment management.
- Operates an effective accounting system which provides various levels of management with appropriate and accurate financial reporting of operations in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Performs month-end/quarter-end/year-end closing of books for FRH and all related or managed/affiliated entities by established deadlines.
- Preparation and presentation of financial statements, budgets for the JCHA and all related or managed entities along with other required financial reports for funding agencies.
- Completion of required financial reports for funding agencies.
- Completes, in a timely manner, all financial records and reports for all FRH programs. Coordinates with external auditors and completes compliance reporting.
- Prepares financial reports for FRH executives, board and funding agencies in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepares cost allocation plans, and fringe benefits management plans.
- Ensures consistent, reliable, and timely financial information for entities assigned is disseminated to the financial statement users and executive management team.
- Timely completion of the month-end close process for all JCHA entities.
- Prepare and/or review account analyses, monthly analytical reviews of balance sheets and income statements, and budget variances.
- Prepare and post journal entries as required.
- Reconcile and maintain comprehensive records for all general ledger balance sheet accounts for areas assigned.
- Supports the preparation, oversight, review and verification of accuracy of financial statements, explanatory notes and schedules for audit use for JCHA and all related or managed entities.
- Assist in managing the relationship with internal and external auditors, consultants, federal regulatory agencies, suppliers and other entities.
3. Accounting System:
- Supports Director’s work in identifying and implementing full capabilities of the accounting software to gain maximum efficiencies from the system.
- Develops goals and objectives related to efficiency of accounting systems and procedures. Reviews and develops improvements to accounting internal control systems.
- Maintains computerized financial information system.
4. Internal Controls:
- Ensure proper documentation and audit trails for all accounting transactions.
- Responsible for cross-training and technical assistance to other accounting and agency staff, as required.
6. Federal Program Accounting and Compliance:
- Follows Jefferson County Housing Authority (JCHA), U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and Colorado Housing and Finance Authority (CHFA) policies, procedures, rules and regulations, where applicable.
- Supports completion of required financial reports for funding agencies, including primary responsibility for accuracy and timeliness of data maintained in the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Real Estate Assessment Center (REAC) system for all managed/affiliated entities.
- Supports internal controls, accuracy, and timeliness of required financial information in all other federal reporting systems including, but not limited to, the Voucher Management System (VMS).
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Maintains the utmost confidentiality of personnel information.
- Must treat people with respect and work with integrity and professional ethics, upholding the agency’s values and mission. Represents the agency in a positive, professional and ethical manner at all times. This specifically includes abiding by all the rules outlined in the Employee Handbook and encouraging others to do so.
- Adapt well to change in the work environment. Must be able to work with interruptions and respond calmly and professionally. Provide quality services to a culturally diverse population. Must always be respectful and professional.
- Ability to make rational and appropriate decisions. Must be able to write clearly and professionally. Ability to convey financial information effectively to executives and staff, including persons with limited financial background.
- Maintain office in a neat and clean manner. No confidential or proprietary information, including files and computer screens are to be visible to office visitors or left on the desk after work hours.
- Maintain a team-oriented environment, encourage a strong work ethic and be committed to improving the educational opportunity of the staff consistent with FRH policies and directives.
- Analysis of proposals for enterprise development, as requested.
- Occasional travel for business purposes and continuing education.
- Provide advice and counsel to management deemed appropriate or requested and execute such other tasks as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree or above from an accredited college or university in Accounting. Three years of work experience in accounting with preference for work in a government or real estate management setting.
- Strong organizational, time management and attention to detail skills.
- Ability to plan and implement accounting practices and procedures to insure the accurate and timely submission of financial records and reports.
- Ability to compile statistical information and prepare reports as required or upon request.
- Extensive knowledge of acceptable accounting practices and procedures including GAAP accounting and acceptable internal controls.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Requires strong skills in organization, concentration, time management, initiative, and attention to detail. Must be able to deal with frequent interruptions and possess the ability to successfully work with a variety of populations.
- Requires excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to exercise independent judgment and work with limited supervision.
- CPA Preferred.
- Government accounting experience or Real Estate accounting experience preferred.
- Experience with Yardi Software preferred.
PAY RANGE: $76,000 to $93,000 /year.
- Employer pays 100% premium of medical, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability, and life insurance.
- Vacation and Sick time.
- 12 Paid Holidays.
- Retirement plan, employer matches up to 10% of retirement contributions.