High Plains Processing is actively seeking an Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator for the soon-to-be-constructed grain processing plant in Mitchell, South Dakota. High Plains is affiliated with South Dakota Soybean Processors (Headquartered in Volga, SD) and their partners. This affiliation ensures the coordinator will have a foundation of support and resources needed to create and maintain a culture of safety. Working closely with the EHS Manager and local operations management, the EHS Coordinator will be integral in the development and planning stages of the plant through start up and continuous improvement of daily operations and strategic planning. This position will require some overnight travel. High Plains Processing is projected to begin production in the fall of 2025.
- Manages safety, health, and environmental compliance, in accordance with all regulatory standards of local, state, and federal agencies to include OSHA (1910, 1926 and PSM), EPA, SQF and Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Implement and comply with safety programs through identifying opportunities to improve safety performance, performing job safety analysis, initiating corrective actions, and continuously engaging, coaching, and training employees and partners.
- Promote awareness of safety issues/concerns, reducing risk of occupational injuries, developing, and distributing communications, and following up on the completion of corrective or preventative measures.
- Maintain records for EHS training, employee feedback, and incident tracking. Tracks and maintains current Safety Data Sheets and safety signage throughout all facilities.
- Conduct safety audits, incident investigations, prepare audit finding reports, and monitor monthly inspections.
- Perform audit tracking, training development, and industrial hygiene monitoring.
- Conduct new hire orientation, contractor safety orientation programs, daily toolbox talks, and safety audits.
- Coordinates, and facilitates meetings/events i.e. safety committee, and health and wellness activities, including creating agendas and supplemental documents, recording, and distributing notes or formal meeting minutes.
- Complete daily transactional duties such as filing, data entry and prepare weekly/monthly/annual reports.
- Perform duties outside normal responsibilities as needed to support the team and overall organizational goals.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree with EHS related major preferred and a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Strong computer literacy with ability and desire to learn new software applications.
- Must be comfortable speaking to groups of people and facilitating meetings while effectively communicating at a professional level through writing, speaking and listening.
- Self-motivated to maintain a safe, positive, productive attitude toward work and others.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking skills with ability to prioritize, adapt and act.
- Must Possess the Ability to Do the Following Frequently:
- Bend, squat, and kneel
- Stand, walk, climb ladders/stairs
- Push/Pull/Carry/Lift 25- 50lbs.
- Work on and around high structures, in confined spaces and around moving machinery
- Exposed to excessive noise, and temperature changes, occasionally exposed to dust and fumes
- Drives motorized equipment