Do you have what it takes to keep up with one of the fastest-growing companies in America? If you work hard, play hard and your tail’s always wagging, there may be a place for you at the most innovative name in pet insurance – Petplan! Our headquarters are buzzing with talented professionals – and their pets! – who are helping Petplan turn the pet insurance industry on its tail.
We’re looking for candidates who can balance the wisdom that comes from solid work experience with the passion to push the limits and always take a fresh approach. We love people who come to work to create, collaborate and contribute – and have fun doing it! In spite of our explosive growth, we’ve maintained our entrepreneurial spirit, which means we work as a team, celebrate each other’s achievements and give it all we’ve got, every day.
The Director of Application Development will lead an application development team working to deliver multiple concurrent projects. The ideal candidate must be technical in background rather than simply have experience managing technical teams. This candidate will be a roll-up-your-sleeves solutions architect who is eager to join a collaborative environment.
- Lead a team of on and off-shore engineering resources working to deliver multiple concurrent projects
- Act as the solution architect for projects by defining the technical pattern and providing team members with guidance on how to implement solutions
- Oversee application development teams, including prioritization of work, mentoring and management of technical resources with their daily responsibilities
- Continually evaluate emerging technologies to identify opportunities, trends and best practices that can be used to strengthen the technology platform and development practices
- Work with leadership to recommend scheduling, prioritization and resource allocation to deliver best-in-class technical solutions
- Collaborate cross-functionally within IT team, as well as with necessary internal and external business partners
- Incorporate technical best practices (such as unit testing, code reviews, effective source control management) to drive continuous improvement within IT organization
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems or a related field plus eight (8) years of related experience. Ideally a masters degree in a technical field as well
- 5+ years of multi-team development management experience with 5 or more direct manager reports and experience leading end-to-end delivery of solutions
- Solid experience in previous role as a Computer/Software Engineer
- Experience with complex web and database technologies
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of service-orientated architecture and design patterns
- Experience integrating COTS products with other client specific applications
- Experience delivering both Waterfall and Agile Methodologies
- Property & Casualty Insurance experience a plus
- InsuranceNow experience a plus
This position is a full-time exempt role out of our Newtown Square headquarters, with some time spent in NYC. Employment with Petplan includes a suite of competitive benefits, PTO and perks. At Petplan, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. Petplan is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.