At The Mount Vernon School , students are empowered to discover, explore, learn, design, create, and effect change. With a commitment to Identity, Diversity, Equity, and Action (IDEA), we welcome the opportunity to engage in honest, vulnerable, and courageous conversations that challenge our biases and assumptions. Our goal is to design a better world, so we choose to equip students with the knowledge, skills, attributes, and relationships they need to be impact-ready.
What We Do | The Team
The Upper School Faculty are a collaborative and forward-thinking community of education professionals who are consistently looking for ways to create real-world, project-based experiences that help their students connect content in a relevant and impactful way. This team models what it means to be inquisitive, nurturing, flexible, and creative. They are involved in areas of the School beyond the classroom walls and support student curiosities and passions. While they customize and personalize the learning for each course, this team is united in using an inquiry-based model and a mastery approach to teaching..
Why this Position is Important | The Role
Mount Vernon School seeks an innovative and collaborative Upper School Mathematics teacher who is comfortable using a project-based/competency approach to mathematics. Versatility, collaboration, and openness to innovative instructional practices are essential. Availability to sponsor athletic, artistic, or academic teams/clubs is preferred.
What a typical week looks like | Role & Responsibilities
- Using knowledge of the content (mathematics) and ability to make interdisciplinary/real-world connections to design curriculum and assessment with the math team
- Maintaining comprehensive records of performance, progress, and goals using MV tools
- Communicating with families, learning coaches, and outside providers
- Actively participating in professional growth opportunities
- Participating in weekly school/division/team meetings
- Meeting the needs of the division by helping with weekly coverage and duties
- Timely maintenance of accurate and comprehensive records of each student's performance and progress & communication with families
- Care for and nurture the social and emotional needs of each student by customizing/differentiating the learning experience
- Maintenance of an organized, inviting, and student-centered learning environment
What we are looking for | Core Competencies
- Background/real-world experience in content knowledge area (mathematics)
- Ability to cultivate respectful and affirming environments
- Culturally proficient & equity literate
- A track record of giving high-quality, Responsive Feedback
- Understanding of Competency-Based Assessment/Mastery Approach to Learning
- Knowledge of Inquiry-Based Learning Pedagogies (PBL, VTR, QFT, DT)
- Proficiency in Google Suite & Mac/Apple OS
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics Education, Mathematics, or related field
- Teaching and learning experience (preferred)
The faculty and staff of The Mount Vernon School believe the fair and equitable treatment of employees is critical to fulfilling its mission and purpose. It is the policy of The Mount Vernon School to conduct business and provide equal employment opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, age, gender, religion, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Start Date | July 2024