Why is this a great job? (From the hiring manager) “This is an opportunity to lead and shape LPHI’s data strategy, products and services that are making Louisiana a better and healthier place. Our mission is serious, but it doesn’t mean we can’t have a good time working towards it. LPHI is committed to your success, and we value and embrace innovation, creativity, and inclusivity and the benefits are hard to beat.”
Job Title: Associate Director, Data Strategy and Services
- Salary is based on various factors unique to each candidate, including skill set, experience, qualifications, and other job-related reasons
Work Schedule: 40-hour work week
- LPHI offers traditional (M-F, 8 am-5 pm), flexible (for example, M-F 10 am-7pm), and compressed work schedules (for example, M-Th 8 am-7 pm). Schedule details finalized between employee and manager.
Location: This is a Louisiana-based, hybrid position with occasional (<10%) travel required
- LPHI maintains an office in New Orleans if the employee prefers to be hybrid or full-time in-office
Team: PelEX Health Information Exchange
Reports To: Chief Data Strategy Officer
Supervises: Program Manager, PelEX
Primary Relationships: The Associate Director will primarily work with the Chief Data Strategy Officer, the PelEX Health Information Exchange team, the Health Services Research team, and external partners.
- LPHI contributes 7% of pre-tax salary to employee 401k per pay period regardless of employee contribution, after six continuous months of employment
- 100% paid premiums for employee health (HMO plan), dental, and term life insurance beginning on the first day of the month, on or following one month of full-time employment
- 100% paid Employee Assistance Program
- 100% paid parking at 601 Tchoupitoulas Parking Garage
- Traditional, flexible, or compressed work schedules
- Resources committed to professional development
- Holidays, Vacation and Sick Days:
- 15+ paid holidays per year that includes Thanksgiving Break (Wednesday-Friday) and Winter Break (Christmas Eve – January 2)
- 10 vacation days accrued per year, years 0-2
- 15 vacation days accrued per year, years 3-5
- 20 vacation days accrued per year, year 6+
- 3 personal days
- 1 floating holiday (employee’s choice)
- 12 sick days
ABOUT THE POSITION
PelEX is a health information exchange network dedicated to advancing health for all of Louisiana’s communities. We provide timely, actionable data to empower care teams to deliver the best care possible. PelEX serves as a trusted health data steward through community-driven data sharing and meaningful collaboration.
The Associate Director will lead PelEX’s product development, business development, team management, and other operational functions. The role will report to Chief Data and Strategy Officer and the Executive Director of PelEX. The candidate will be responsible for the successful design, development, and delivery of high-quality data services and analytical reports to participating health care organizations. Integral to this role will be understanding and translating partner needs and use cases and collaborating with technical leads to conceptualize, test, and implement data services and solutions. The candidate will manage multiple cross-functional projects and initiatives involving multiple internal and external teams across technical, business, and clinical spheres. This position will develop and implement project management tools and processes to coordinate responsibilities and deliverables across the team’s staff, partners, and other functions, including finance, legal and compliance, and participant and community engagement. In coordination with team leadership, the position will also manage strategic efforts related to data acquisition and partnership development to advance growth in new markets. Other responsibilities include overseeing data governance policies and decisions, advising on technical needs and operations, overseeing user engagement and communications, and monitoring national trends and best practices in health information exchange, population health, and related fields.
The Associate Director will play a critical role in cultivating meaningful, action-oriented relationships with the Louisiana health care system, including health care providers, health plans, and the Louisiana Department of Health, on behalf of LPHI. The position will identify and pursue funding opportunities to sustain and grow the PelEX team. The position will support budget and staffing management and planning, promote team capacity building, and facilitate cross-portfolio collaboration and learning.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Project and Product Management
- Serve as Product Team Lead for PelEX and manage a portfolio of health information exchange products and services.
- Responsible for strategic planning of product development as well as daily management of product design, development, and implementation tasks.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and monitor written scopes of work for all PelEX products. Track progress, monitor level of effort, and prepare regular written and verbal updates to internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish, document, and implement key operational standards and processes related to new member onboarding and connection, product implementation, and interface message specifications.
- Advise on new member onboarding and interface projects to ensure alignment with current and anticipated member product needs.
- In partnership with IT team and external technology vendors, manage and oversee all product and interface projects throughout the project lifecycle, including identifying the most appropriate technology and format for new products or interfaces.
- Oversee continuous quality improvement of product portfolio, including regular quality assurance steps, partnership with IT team to implement maintenance and testing, and scoping and development of product enhancements to create greater value and user experience for members.
- Translate regulatory requirements and policies into technical standards and processes to ensure compliance and ethical data use and sharing. Manage and oversee technical planning, stakeholder coordination, and implementation. Lead subsequent reporting and communication as needed.
Strategic Planning and Development
- Responsible for conceptualization of multiple new products based on evolving recruitment goals, member needs/requests, and technical capabilities.
- Lead and facilitate strategic conversations with health system leadership and other clinical leaders to support the scoping, development, and technical implementation of brand-new products and use cases.
- Gather, organize, and present complex business, technical, and stakeholder considerations to the team to facilitate team decision-making on product development plans and prioritization.
- Assess trends in health care and health IT environments to inform decisions regarding product development activities as well as partnerships with complementary service providers.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for interface optimization to increase access to priority clinical data types and sources in the required format to advance product goals.
- Research, apply, and share industry best practices and recommend opportunities for improvement related to products and use cases, data exchange standards, and handling of sensitive data and other regulatory issues.
- Engage partners, solicit partner feedback, and facilitate strategic planning and decision-making across partners and internal teams to drive new activities and areas of work.
- Assess strategic and technical needs and assets of partners and internal teams to inform data integration and product development strategies.
Practice Engagement and Technical Assistance
- Supervise and support Account Management Lead for GNOHIE
- Responsible for soliciting input and feedback from members and partners regarding existing products, potential new or improved products or use cases, and strategies for ongoing member engagement.
- Identify potential barriers or threats, ensure appropriate escalation and stakeholder communication, and coordinate with relevant teams to mitigate or resolve the issue.
- Field, address, and escalate questions and requests from health care organizations and external IT vendors regarding interfaces, data requirements, and standards for data exchange.
- Identify and implement recruitment and other partnership opportunities to advance the goals and reach of the PelEX network and services.
- Scope out funding strategies for new and sustained areas of work (e.g., search for grant opportunities, design service lines, pitch concepts to partners and funders).
- Lead coordination of internal teams to develop and track proposals and subcontracting documentation in support of business development.
- Develop presentations, written content, and other materials to disseminate and promote PelEX assets and services to the current and prospective participants, partners, community, and industry.
- Serve as a team leader and project manager for other development activities and projects across the organization.
- Master’s degree in public health, health care administration, informatics, or other related field preferred
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience
- Experience designing and implementing complex projects for cross-functional project teams, successfully implementing projects, and producing high-quality, timely deliverables
- Direct experience working with clinical and/or population health teams on health IT or data initiatives
- Demonstrated skillset in communicating complex technical concepts and information in a clear and concrete way for diverse audiences through verbal, written, and visual formats
- Experience facilitating and managing health care partnerships and engagement processes (e.g., health information exchange networks, clinically integrated networks, community health partnerships)
- Experience with technical project management and demonstrated knowledge of data sharing standards and methods, clinical data types and standards, and health IT landscape
- Experience with budget management and negotiation
- Experience with developing proposals and managing grant programs
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Care deeply and is committed to LPHI’s Strategic Plan Priorities, Mission, Vision and Values with the ability to demonstrate LPHI’s core competencies.
- Ability to exercise discretion and diplomacy, especially in complex and confidential situations.
- Ability to maintain professionalism at all times.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards, best practices, regulatory requirements, and employment law.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively and effectively on a team and with internal and external partners and diverse partners.
- Ability to work and manage effectively in a matrix environment including working with teams and teams of teams in order to extrapolate plans and create results through critical thinking and exercising sound judgment.
- Ability to model and inspire authentic leadership; and coach, manage and develop team members.
- Ability to makes others feel able to discuss sensitive issues without fear. A naturally empathetic leader who inspires trust among employees
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to manage multiple priorities effectively and efficiently while regularly meeting deadlines.
- Exceptional emotional intelligence, including interpersonal skills and experience working with individuals and groups from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated learning orientation.
- Ability to champion and manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver with excellent quality and impact.
- Exercises confidentiality and discretion always when communicating with or in regard to external partners.
- Exhibits a courteous, professional demeanor at all times.
- Engages in professional development activities to improve job-related skills and knowledge.
- Proven ability to anticipate needs and problem-solve.
- Outstanding organizational skills, ability to be flexible, and demonstrate resourcefulness with demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication (i.e., professional correspondence, proofreading, editing) skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to high-level inquiries from LPHI’s senior leadership team, staff, community partners, partners, and members of the community.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Microsoft Outlook.
The Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI) is a statewide, non-profit organization that has been promoting the health and well-being of Louisianians since 1997. Our 100+ employees work alongside 500+ partner organizations at the local, state, and national levels to leverage our broad expertise in public health to achieve our mission of ensuring that everyone has fair and just opportunities to be healthy and well.
Our strategic plan priority areas include Racial Justice and Health Equity, Partnerships and Collaboration, A Healthier Louisiana, and A Thriving Organization. To learn more, visit lphi.org.