The St. Louis Jewish Community Center (the J) has been providing excellent health and cultural experiences for the entire community for over 140 years. Members and program participants enjoy access to state-of-the-art facilities and programs, arts, and sports experiences. Employees enjoy a large range of benefits including a complimentary membership! The Js culture is warm and inclusive to all, employees are safe being who they are at work. Be a part of this amazing team and community.
The J Summer Day Camp program is accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA). Camp runs 11 weeks, June 3- August 16, providing activities that help campers Play, Connect and Grow throughout each camp day: swimming, arts/crafts, climbing, team building, sports and much more. The J is currently hiring for Camp staff for both Camp locations, Creve Coeur, and Chesterfield. All camp staff must attend mandatory staff orientation on May 28 – June 2.
- Supervising campers, ensuring their safety at all times.
- Communicating with parents.
- Maintaining accurate attendance records.
- Attending mandatory weekly staff meetings and required training.
- Administering first aid as needed.
- Engage with campers at all times, plan and lead activities as needed, and guide group/individual campers to participate successfully in all camp as to offer.
- Ensure campers are behaving appropriately at all times by being both proactive and reactive as necessary.
- Swim with campers daily. Assist Swim Instructors with lessons as needed, engage with campers in the pool during free swim. Serve as “eyes on deck” when assigned.
- Care for the physical and emotional well being of campers at all times.
- Be a supportive team member, demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Recognize and respond to opportunities for problem solving.
- Observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, and apply appropriate behavior management techniques (appropriate techniques will be reviewed during staff orientation).
- Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Minimum of 16 years of age by start of staff orientation.
- Baer Adventure and Inclusion (children with disabilities) counselors both require high school diplomas/GED.
- Previous experience working with children preferred.
- Able to participate in games, sports, and physical activities including water-based games and activities.
- Able to maintain attention and high level of energy or excitement for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to spend majority the of time outdoors and tolerate a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to relate to and communicate with one’s peer group, parents, as well as to campers’ age and skill levels.
- Ability to provide guidance, supervision, and engage with children in an enthusiastic manner.
- Ability to assist in teaching an activity; specialized knowledge required for sports, specialty , and arts camps.
- Ability to assist campers in emergency situations; including fire, evacuation, illness or injury.
- Good character, integrity and adaptability.
- Judaic experiences preferred or a willingness to learn.
- Current American Red Cross CPR/First Aid certification is required for certain camps (training provided if necessary).
- Note that some camps require successful registration on the Missouri Family Care Safety Registry as a condition of employment. If required, this registration must be maintained in good standing for continued employment.
To learn more about the Jewish Community Center and all that we do, please visit our website: www.jccstl.org
The J is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in the Department of Homeland Security's eVerify program.