Whisker is the maker of Litter-Robot, Feeder-Robot, and Litterbox.com. At Whisker, we believe pet parenthood can always get better.
As leading innovators in pet tech and refined pet accessories, we work tirelessly to solve problems and deliver smarter insights for pet parents while enriching the lives of pets. Whether it’s a self-cleaning litter box that automates scooping, an automatic feeder that helps pets develop healthier eating habits, or a modern cat tree that delights both humans and felines, we strive to deliver better solutions for consumers while transforming pet care along the way. To us, having a pet is the best thing ever. At Whisker, life together just keeps getting better.
Whisker is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Juneau, Wisconsin with 500+ passionate team members.
What You’ll Do:
The Electrical Systems Engineer will lead electrical and hardware architecture on upcoming smart connected Pet products, drive strategy & roadmap, and collaborate with cross functional teams designing, building, and testing prototypes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Subject Matter Expert in the technical delivery in the advanced development stage of an IoT connected, mechatronic, sensor integrated consumer product
- Leads technical design of full product electrical architecture, including power, connectivity, embedded control and sensor integration
- Supports key decisions working cross-functionally across HW and SW engineering
- Engages with technology project leads, and various SMEs in creating the overall system architecture and platform as the starting point for product execution
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams on blank-slate and early-phase prototyping and product exploration, mapping it strategically and troubleshoot product issues which need to be resolved
- Drives development of system requirements, advance technology and research roadmaps to create new pet experiences
- Collects organization specifications and takes part in product description and prioritization of functionality, including consumer usability studies
- Prepares written criteria for activities with mid-level difficulty from verbal requirements
- Prepares design, practical, technological and/or user documentation
- Leads all system level decisions through the development of the product through to production
- Designs electrical architecture and systems from concept to product:
- project timing
- schematic design & Layout
- prototype build
- test fixturing
- production oversight
- Will perform additional responsibilities when required
What You’ll Bring:
- BS in Electrical Engineering, or other related technical field or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of product experience in electrical engineering with demonstrated success leading one or more complex projects/applications
- Experience with architecture and systems engineering across electrical, firmware, and mechanical systems with option to include audio and optical systems
- Experience with SoC evaluation, sensors, algorithms, software, and ability to work collaboratively with experts in different fields to make architectural tradeoffs
- Experience in rapid prototyping and proof of concept work
- Communication experience working with Product Development engineers, Product Managers and other hardware/software cross functional teams
- Excellent technical understanding of consumer electronics and robotics
- Comfortable with office pets (dogs, cats)
- Maintains confidentiality of proprietary information
- Ability to maintain a professional atmosphere in a fast-paced environment with numerous interactions and interruptions
- A high degree of initiative, self-motivation, and ability to motivate others
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Team Members and colleagues
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Strong systems skills with previous experience driving architecture convergence on consumer electronics products
- Previous or current pet parent
Benefits & Perks OR Benefits & Purrks:
Join a tenacious, inventive company that empowers team members to chart their own path, lead by grounding decisions in the “why”, and has a strong sense of empathy and openness to new perspectives. Be a part of exciting growth, work with incredible people, and create tomorrow’s pet products—plus a whole lot of extras. You will also be provided with:
- Premium Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K with 4% Match
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Top of the line equipment
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Pet Insurance
Statement of Inclusivity:
We believe different perspectives make Whisker better and strive to create a place where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.
Please ensure to regularly check your email spam folder for any communication from Whisker to avoid missing important updates regarding your application status.