POSITION TITLE: CAF Special Events Manager
REPORTS TO: Director, Special Events
FLSA STATUS: Exempt/Full Time
The Challenged Athletes Foundation® (CAF) is a world leader in helping individuals with physical disabilities get involved – and stay involved – in sports and fitness. CAF believes that participation in sports at any level increases self-esteem, encourages independence, and enhances quality of life. Since 1994, more than $154 million has been raised and over 43,996 funding requests from athletes in all 50 states and dozens of countries have been given. Additionally, CAF’s outreach efforts impact another 60,000 individuals each year. The CAF is headquartered in San Diego with regional offices in New York City, San Francisco and Boise, Idaho. This is a full-time, exempt position based out of the San Diego office.
Position Summary: We are currently seeking a highly organized and detail-oriented Events Manager to join our team. The Manager will support and lead the planning, organization and execution of events and other income activations managed by the Special Events Department. In this role, they will work cross functionally to achieve event income goals and objectives. They will monitor and control budgets and support fundraising goals. They will develop and maintain donor, fundraiser, and volunteer relationships.
The Manager must see CAF as a societal mission and be committed to the objectives, goals, and programs of the organization. To be effective in dealing with vendors, sponsors, partners and athletes we serve, the Events Manager must see their role in the organization as a calling to provide first class events that not only serve the athletes involved but make the experience so positive that all participants will not only wish to return for the next event, but will bring along others who will become supporters of CAF.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities
- Manage all aspects of external events, from planning and development to execution and post-event follow-up, in collaboration with marketing, programs, business development, finance and other support departments.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Business Development team members on event strategy/goals and materials.
- Develop and manage event timelines, communicating deadlines and assignments to staff and key stakeholders (event chairs, board of directors, contractors).
- Direct oversight of deliverables from event contractors.
- Role will have primary oversight of logistics for CAF’s Community Challenge Weekend/San Diego Triathlon Challenge.
- Work closely with event race director on permits and routes
- Oversee the venue layout, install and tear-down. Lead vendor management to include, procurement of tents, stages, waste management, security, a/v, catering, etc.
- The Special Events Managers will be assigned to several events in which to serve as project manager while serving in a support role for other major CAF initiatives.
- Event promotion and communication
- Adhere to the strategic direction, key messaging and brand set by the marketing department.
- Work with marketing to create and deliver collateral and promote events internally and externally. Effectively communicate the mission of CAF to event participants.
- Lead teams internally and externally for many of CAF’s signature events and other engagement initiatives.
- Conduct productive and positive meetings to keep internal teams on track and up to date.
- Engage external stakeholders, chairs and committees through regular communication and meetings to keep them engaged and informed. Manage event timelines and enforce deadlines across the organization.
- Consistently meet deadlines or when that is not possible, to effectively communicate prior to missing deadlines why they need to be extended and to set new target dates for completion.
- Manage lists of prospects, invitees, attendees, sponsors, volunteers, auctions items, and fundraising totals. Ensure that finances are processed appropriately including donations and charges/invoices.
Support of fundraisers, donors and volunteers
- Requires significant ‘customer first’ approach including consistent & appropriate communication with event participants.
- Identify, recruit, cultivate, and recognize fundraisers for their accomplishments.
- Supervise recruitment, management and support of volunteers.
- Seek new ways to support the Development and Business Development Team’s role in the big picture of what CAF is trying to accomplish with specific events, communications, plans and fundraising vehicles and donor cultivation.
- Function as an effective and supportive team member of the Special Events Department. Contribute to achievement of overall goals of CAF and the Board of Directors.
- Be a professional representative of CAF both internally to all staff, volunteers and Board Members and externally to outside donors, fundraisers, suppliers, volunteers and all third-party constituents that you interact with.
- Exhibit excellent communication skills internally and externally regarding all work, e-mail correspondence, communications, correspondence, direct mail and any piece of work that has the CAF name associated to it.
- Must have sensitivity to budget constraints and the need to keep expenses under control. Eagerness to solicit donations and discounts on behalf of the organization.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive CAF vehicle.
- Must have own transportation.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends with increased responsibilities around event dates. Includes some out-of-town travel.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to capture details and communicate accurately and completely, both verbally and in writing. Strong persuasive and appealing writing skills.
- Must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- College Degree (B.S./B.A.) preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in managing and executing special events and one to two years of supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some experience with event component management software. Knowledge of Salesforce, OneCause event software, Wrike project management, Donor Driver registration software a plus.
- Experience working with different types of disability groups and understanding of their unique needs is a plus.
- High level of proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point, Outlook, Keynote or similar online presentation tools. Ability to quickly learn new software and technology.
- Self-motivated, with an ability to function with limited support. Prioritization is highly important, along with the ability to manage projects from initiation to completion and delivery with minimal oversight.
- Flexibility and ability to manage unexpected circumstances or changes.
- Ability to act as a professional representative of CAF both internally to all staff, volunteers, Board Members and externally to outside donors, fundraisers, suppliers, and all third-party constituents.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a customer service approach.
The annual salary range for this role is $65,000-$72,000 based on experience.
CAF offers a competitive compensation package including generous employer contributions to
Health/Dental/Visions insurance for staff, employer paid Basic Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance, current hybrid schedule, 401k match, 10 paid holidays, onsite gym, and more!
All applicants are required to provide:
1. Salary requirements
2. Cover Letter
3. Resume to HR@challengedathletes.org if not applying through a third party website.
Diversity and inclusion are a critical component of our business strategy, mission and vision. We welcome candidates from an array of backgrounds and experiences to join our team. Learn more about our commitment here: https://www.challengedathletes.org/diversity-and-inclusion-policy/