Who We Are:
Located in Jefferson County Open Space, Dinosaur Ridge is one of the most important paleontology sites on Earth. Our globally iconic site has been ranked by paleontologists as the #1 dinosaur track site in the nation, and one of the most important in the world. Dinosaur Ridge typically draws almost 250,000 annual visitors to our outdoor museum to view approximately 300 dinosaur tracks still preserved on the sandstone slope. Dinosaur Ridge was also the site of the first Stegosaurus discovery on earth and was designated National Natural Landmark (a subunit of the National Park Service) in 1973. The Friends of Dinosaur Ridge is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1989 with the purpose of preserving the fossils on Dinosaur Ridge and educating the public about the natural history of the area. Our mission was later expanded to include the fossil sites at Triceratops Trail in Golden, Colorado. Our stated core values include professionalism, service, enthusiasm, respect, trust, and integrity. These values are infused into every aspect of our daily organizational life and referenced regularly.
Who You Are:
Dinosaur Ridge is currently seeking energetic outdoorsy educators to serve as Camp Leaders at our Summer Camp for the Summer of 2024.
Dinosaur Ridge runs ten, one-week-long summer camps from the end of May through the second week of August for children ages 5 to 13 (completion of kindergarten is a camp pre-requisite). The camp day runs from 9am-3pm with an aftercare option from 3pm-5pm daily. Dinosaur Ridge Summer Camp offers a variety of themed sessions all involving hands-on science, nature, and exploration activities, lessons, outdoor games, guest speakers, and field trips. Our camps are designed to foster excitement and wonder for science, art, and the outdoors while engaging children in our educational curriculum based on Colorado State Science Standards. Dinosaur Ridge is a School Age Childcare Center licensed by the State of Colorado Division of Childcare.
We are seeking camp Leaders to facilitate groups of 5 to 13-year-old campers for full days of outdoor adventures, science activities, and fun! Dinosaur Ridge Camp Leaders will be responsible for working with the Camp Directors and other leaders to provide a high-quality experience for every camper. They will ensure the safety, well-being, and enjoyment of camp for each participant.
Camp Leaders are expected to:
- Act as role models for all participants and Junior Counselors.
- Lead a variety of group activities each week based on a set and pre-prepared curriculum and itinerary.
- Foster stewardship for the environment, fossils, plants, and animals.
- Participate in 15 hours of camp-related training before the start of camp (arranged by Dinosaur Ridge).
- Perform other reasonable responsibilities as determined by the Camp Directors that are directly related to Dinosaur Ridge Summer Camp.
Minimum Camp Leader Qualifications:
- Must be at least 21 years of age (insurance requirement for driving 15-passenger vans).
- Must have 3 months (460 hours) of full time or equivalent 6 months to 1-year part-time experience working with school-aged children.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must pass all necessary background checks for childcare licensing. (Dinosaur Ridge pays for and will give directions on submission once hired).
- Must be able to work the following schedule:
- Camp Training Week: May 20-24, 2024 9am to 2pm daily
- All camp sessions: May 27, 2024 through August 9, 2024 (July 1-5, 2024 is a week off)
- 8am to 5pm flexibility (the schedule will fluctuate between 9am and 5pm, and 8am and 3pm to allow for adequate aftercare coverage. A minimum of 8am to 3pm daily is required)
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Interest and experience in teaching outdoor environmental science to youth
- Passionate about Dinosaur Ridge’s Mission
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask patiently and professionally
- Strong communication skills with adults and children
- Team player, enthusiastic, organized, creative, critical thinker, and self-motivated
This is a full-time (35 average hours/week) hourly, seasonal position (May 27 through August 9th with one off week during July 1st-5th).