Location: 100% on-site- Klan St, North Industrial Area, Accra, Ghana
Operation Smile Ghana (OSG) is a non-profit organization that provides services for patients with cleft lip, palate, and other health conditions. OSG was founded in 2011 and is headquartered in Accra, Ghana. OSG is directly affiliated with Operation Smile Inc, a global non-profit that conducts Clinical, Educational, and other health-related initiatives in 36 countries across the globe.
OSG conducts a growing number of surgical, clinical, and medical education initiatives across the country in direct partnership with the Minister of Health as well as local medical leaders. OSG’s main objectives are to strengthen the Ghanaian surgical health system and also to provide world-class clinical care to patients, all free of charge.
OSG maintains a complete operation in Ghana with staff across functional areas including programmatic, operational, marketing, and administrative, and is seeking a Country Manager to lead an exciting and growing scope of work. The Country Manager (CM) reports directly to the Board of Directors of OSG. The CM also has a parallel (dotted line) reporting line to the Operation Smile Regional Director for West/Central Africa.
The CM is responsible for developing and implementing all Operation Smile activities in Ghana. Importantly, the CM will collaborate with multiple stakeholders to ensure all programs are designed in harmony with key stakeholder requirements. Stakeholders include the OSG Board, Minister of Health, hospital and university partners, a range of supporting corporate partners, and Operation Smile Inc. program teams.
The CM has overarching supervisory and managerial responsibilities for all activities in Ghana including programs, operations, finance, human resources, fundraising, information technology, and others.
The CM is responsible for the development of OSGs strategic plan and budgets, in alignment with Operation Smile's regional and organizational goals. The five-year country plan will be developed collaboratively with the above stakeholders and supported by the Sub-Saharan Africa Regional team including the Regional Director, Regional Finance Director, Regional Medical Officer, Regional Technical Leads, Regional Operations, and local and international volunteers and partners.
· Conduct program planning, implementation, and associated monitoring & evaluation.
· Ensure the clinical programs follow Operation Smile’s Global Medical Standards of Care.
· Engage with Operation Smile volunteers and ensure that volunteers are highly satisfied and that their skillsets and contributions are maximized.
· Provide financial oversight & fiscal reporting on all areas of programs and country operations.
· Provide quarterly and monthly reporting to Operation Smile and other stakeholders.
· Maintain compliance with all local, tax, government and other requirements.
· Support global colleagues in workforce planning, human resource management and staff safety & security.
· Maintain a high level of engagement with key stakeholders, including local and global stakeholders, as well as organizational and third parties.
· Work with the Minister of Health and OSG colleagues on the implementation of a national surgical plan and other initiatives with the Ghanaian government.
Strategy and Vision
· Formulate and plan, in consultation with key stakeholders, a clear vision of present and future program goals and strategies which can be clearly communicated to team members, local beneficiaries, international partners, governmental counterparts, and donors.
· Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve program and organizational objectives.
· Evaluate program priorities within the country and participate in regional prioritization.
· Explore, evaluate, and present new country and project funding opportunities that leverage impact and integrate initiatives and activities.
· Support and direct related fund-raising activities with both institutional and private donors.
· Maintain an overview of the national context with a view to the strategic development of projects in current sites and the potential of future program extension and expansion.
· Develop and support execution of the program implementation strategy in manner appropriate to the country context and strategy.
· Manage a comprehensive activity plan including resource needs analyses.
· Oversee the overall design of the program ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary, ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
· Support program implementation, including developing assessments, baselines, budgets, monitoring & evaluation systems, field visits to verify data, and internal & external reporting.
· Volunteer management is an essential part of this role – managing Ghanaian volunteers and their credentialling process, managing the Global Volunteer Management System to ensure it is up to date and recruiting and developing new volunteers in various disciplines as required.
Financial Management - Fiscal, Compliance Management and Accountability
· Work with the Finance Manager and Regional Finance Director to maintain fiscal management of OSG’s budget and funds.
· Plan and construct all programs in alignment with OS global budget processes, templates, and deadlines.
· Manage budgets and cash flow within approved spending levels to ensure a steady and adequate supply of funds for program activities.
· Oversee budget management of sub-grantees/sub-contractors if any.
· Ensure that restricted grant funding is spent according to donor proposals and regulations with relevant reporting.
· Build and maintain operational structures that ensure proper segregation of duties between finance, administration and logistics and fully support field programs.
· Proactively evaluate the integrity of all budget requests and guard against fraud and mismanagement.
· Recruit, manage and motivate an informed, skilled, and efficient team with an emphasis on excellence and achievement; encourage a team culture of learning, creativity, and innovation, incorporating staff development strategies and performance management systems into the team building process.
· Proactively manage workforce planning consistent with policies, including job descriptions for staff, onboarding and orientation, professional development plans, HR evaluations and staff policy manual in alignment with global HR.
· Establish leadership and professional credibility with the OS team, inspiring and implementing an organizational culture of accountability, responsibility, and quality of services.
· Conduct regular performance reviews with OSG staff to provide constructive feedback, identify areas for professional development, and ensure alignment with OSG and Operation Smile objectives.
· Work with the OS volunteer management team to ensure volunteer recruitment and stewardship is maintained at the highest standard.
· Support volunteer engagement for the implementation of Ghana programs and support international opportunities for OSG volunteers within the Operation Smile global footprint.
· Support visiting international volunteers when they attend OS Ghana programs.
Support to the Board of Directors
· Manage and prepare for quarterly board meetings. Ensure with quorum of board in attendance.
· Provide relevant financial, operational, and programmatic information on a monthly and quarterly basis in the form of board papers.
· Provide board briefings on annual and quarterly budget approvals from OS.
· Provide monthly updates as to the status of OSG cash position, budgets, and planned expenditures.
· Ensure full and accurate minutes are taken at board meetings and signed off by the Board Chair.
· Support any other requests made by the Board to ensure that OS Ghana is managed with good practice and with due diligence.
Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation
· Ensure that programs are developed based upon sound principles of design and utilize OS and donor required monitoring and evaluation systems.
· Represent OS Ghana as required with national and international donors, partners, media, and participate in local community activities and as appropriate.
· Maintain effective and positive internal contacts with OS regional and headquarters staff, and external contacts with the national and local government officials, international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), donor agency officials, vendors, media, and the public.
· Manage safety and security of the entire OS Ghana team and assets according to best practices, operating standards, and field realities.
· Liaise with security officials of the local government and other humanitarian, relief and development stakeholders concerning crucial events, periods of increased risk, incident reporting, and security policy changes.
· Advanced university degree in Public Health, Healthcare Administration, Business Administration, Information Science, or other relevant fields.
· Experience working in the healthcare non-profit sector or for-profit sector working with non-profit organizations required
· Project Management experience required, and certification preferred.
· At least 10 years of experience with increasing responsibility in management positions.
· Experience with boards of directors, government officials or corporate leaders preferred.
· Demonstrable management of workforce and HR requirements.
· Strong Leadership skills with previous experience leading diverse teams.
· Strong fiscal skills being able to demonstrate ability to plan, manage, and execute budgets.
· Strong demonstrable implementation skills specifically with programs.
· Understanding of the Ghana healthcare environment and associated challenges.
· Highly organized and self-motivated.
· Oral, written, and presentation language skills are required in English.
· Able to work diplomatically in a global team-based environment that includes board members, medical professionals, and volunteers.
· Able to accept newly assigned projects or duties as they become necessary.