Whisker is the maker of Litter-Robot, Feeder-Robot, and Litterbox.com. At Whisker, we believe pet parenthood can always get better.
As leading innovators in pet tech and refined pet accessories, we work tirelessly to solve problems and deliver smarter insights for pet parents while enriching the lives of pets. Whether it’s a self-cleaning litter box that automates scooping, an automatic feeder that helps pets develop healthier eating habits, or a modern cat tree that delights both humans and felines, we strive to deliver better solutions for consumers while transforming pet care along the way. To us, having a pet is the best thing ever. At Whisker, life together just keeps getting better.
Whisker is based in Auburn Hills, Michigan and Juneau, Wisconsin with 500+ passionate team members.
What You’ll Do:
The Software Architect will lead in designing and developing complex software systems and will be instrumental in shaping robust architectures, ensuring scalability, security, and efficiency. Additionally, the Software Architect will be crucial in providing technical leadership and guidance to our dynamic software engineering team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Leads the end-to-end design and architecture of scalable, high-performance software systems that align with Whisker’s business objectives.
- Actively participates in coding and provides hands-on technical expertise, setting a standard for coding practices within the team.
- Collaborates closely with cross-functional teams, including product managers, analyzes and translates business requirements into technical solutions.
- Provides technical leadership and mentorship to development teams, ensuring best practices and architectural principles are implemented.
- Evaluates and recommends emerging technologies that contribute to the growth and success of our technology ecosystem.
- Ensures the software architecture's integrity, security, and reliability throughout the development lifecycle.
- Takes ownership of the full development lifecycle, from conceptualization to implementation, ensuring the delivery of high-quality software products.
- Conducts regular code reviews and provides constructive feedback to ensure code quality
- Will perform additional responsibilities when required
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s degree or PhD in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- 15+ years of professional experience in Software Engineering
- 5+ years of proven experience as a software architect, demonstrating successful design, release and delivery of complex, scalable systems.
- Technical expertise in the following areas:
- 5+ years of experience with Amazon S3
- 5+ years of experience with DynamoDB
- 4+ years of experience with AWS Lambda
- 3+ years of experience with IoT Core
- 2+ years of experience with Timestream
- In-depth understanding of software design principles, patterns, and best practices.
- Expertise in Java, Python, or C++, particularly for complex, function-oriented software that interfaces with IoT devices
- Experience supporting medium to large-scale, highly available, service-oriented, distributed production systems.
- Proficiency with object-oriented programming concepts, patterns and problem decomposition.
- Experience with cloud platforms, microservices architecture, and a strong grasp of system integration.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to address technical challenges in a dynamic environment.
- Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in using architecture modeling and design tools.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Project management skills with a track record of successfully driving projects to completion.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- A passion for staying updated on industry trends and continuously improving technical expertise.
- Maintains confidentiality of proprietary information
- Ability to maintain a professional atmosphere in a fast-paced environment with numerous interactions and interruptions
- A high degree of initiative, self-motivation, and ability to motivate others
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with Team Members and colleagues
- Comfortable with office pets (cats, dogs)
Not Required but Nice to Have!
- Experience with CloudWatch, AppSync, Relational Databases, Kinesis Stream, CloudTrail, API Gateway, Cognito or VPC
Benefits & Purrks:
Join a tenacious, inventive company that empowers team members to chart their own path, lead by grounding decisions in the “why”, and has a strong sense of empathy and openness to new perspectives. Be a part of exciting growth, work with incredible people, and create tomorrow’s pet products—plus a whole lot of extras. You will also be provided with:
- Premium Medical/Dental/Vision insurance
- Life Insurance
- 14 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- 401K with 4% Match
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Top of the line equipment
- Life Insurance
- Supplemental Pet Insurance
Statement of Inclusivity:
We believe different perspectives make Whisker better and strive to create a place where everyone has equal opportunities to thrive.
Please ensure to regularly check your email spam folder for any communication from Whisker to avoid missing important updates regarding your application status.