As a Financial Mentor, you will play a pivotal role in guiding and empowering individuals in their financial journey. Your primary responsibility will be to conduct personalized, one-on-one sessions with participants, providing mentorship on various financial aspects, including investment strategies, savings, and debt management and student loan relief. As a Financial Mentor, you will work within the framework of our program to help participants achieve their financial goals and build a solid foundation for a secure financial future. Under the direction of the Director of Mentor and Volunteer Engagement, the position may be requested to deliver presentations or workshops as needed based upon capacity and will assist in the support and training of our volunteer mentors.
- Meets with participants to gather, discuss, and understand personal financial goals, such as current income, expenses, insurance coverage, tax status, risk tolerance, and other information necessary for financial planning.
- Assesses participants’ financial objectives, assets, liabilities, cash flow, insurance coverage, and tax status.
- Based on analysis of financial situation and participants’ priorities, develops strategies and plans to help participants meet financial goals, monitoring and adjusting plans as needed during prescribed formalized meetings.
Training and Development
- Keep abreast of new and emerging financial and investment trends to present quarterly updates at staff meetings (10-15 minutes).
- Builds additional skills and knowledge in the industry, including obtaining additional licenses and certifications as appropriate.
- Creates impactful internal and external communications.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Actively contributes ideas for strategic planning and development of the mentor program, in collaboration and coordination with Mentor Team leadership.
Volunteer Mentor Support
- Answer financial topic-specific questions to support volunteer Financial Mentors.
- Audit volunteer Financial Mentor meetings (live or recorded) to ensure organizational compliance and support financial mentor growth.
- Provide constructive feedback to improve financial mentoring and counseling skills of volunteer Financial Mentors.
Workshops and Instruction
- Periodically assists with presentations, workshops, and instruction of curriculum as needed.
Other Duties as Assigned
3rd Decade promotes financial well-being within all communities. We place top priority on hiring and growing a team of knowledgeable, passionate, creative, and diverse individuals who have a strong desire to see our participants empowered.
To apply please upload your resume and cover letter.
- Associates degree or additional education and training
- Thorough understanding of the concepts taught in our programming including credit, debt, and basic investments
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB)
- Knowledge of financial trends.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with Google suite/ Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Obtained a financial certification
- which may include Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC®), Certified Financial Planner (CFP®), Series 65 or similar Designation
- Previous experience in Financial Management
- Proficient with Google Suite/Microsoft Office Suite or related software