Nevada Public Radio is looking for a dynamic and hard-working intern to work with our Desert Companion magazine and our weekly newsletters. This internship would provide experience of working for an NPR-affiliated broadcast and media organization that provides the Las Vegas Valley’s only city-regional publication.
Why intern with us? Launched in 2007, Desert Companion is the valley’s premier city magazine that celebrates the pursuits, passions, and aspirations of Southern Nevadans. With award-winning feature journalism and design, Desert Companion does more than inform and entertain. We spark dialogue, engage people, and define the spirit of the Las Vegas Valley. Our newsletters are published weekly, which features profiles, reviews, Q&As, essays, humor, and more..
- Specific hours and days are flexible. We are open to working out a schedule to fit certain needs.
What to Expect
The intern will participate in all aspects of graphic design and production for a city magazine, weekly email newsletters and associated marketing materials for a news organization. Duties may include, but are not limited to: work with typography and images to create compelling editorial and advertising layouts; source and procure art for publication; coordinate photoshoots with photographers and subjects; create editorial illustrations using a variety of graphic techniques; create photographic images; create press-ready files, process design assets for web and print use; and any other task directly associated with the creation of editorial and marketing communications. Secondarily, candidates with interests in multi-media, photography, video, and audio production may be invited to participate in these disciplines.
Graphic Design Intern Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and design print and digital materials for editorial and advertising
- Adhere to brand guidelines and complete projects according to deadline
- Retouch and manipulate images
- Use graphic design software and work with a wide variety of media
- Collaborate with the Director of Audience Engagement & Graphic Designer to develop design concepts
- Receive feedback from Director of Audience Engagement & Graphic Designer to make necessary changes
- Assemble final presentation material for printing as needed
- $15.00 per hour for a maximum of 16 hours per week
- This is a temporary, part-time position, for the duration of 12-15 weeks (one semester).
- Hourly; non-exempt
How to Apply
Go to our careers page and apply at: https://knpr.org/apply
The intern must supply a resume and cover letter expressing interest in the internship program at Nevada Public Radio. Please also include a portfolio (PDF format or website link).
Nevada Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Graphic Design major preferred
- Basic knowledge of design fundamentals including layout, typography, composition, color, and other graphic design basics
- Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat
- Strong creative and analytical skills
- Compelling portfolio of graphic design work
- Enrollment in a graphic design program is preferred. If interning for academic credit, this must be communicated up-front, and approval must be obtained from intern’s college and Nevada Public Radio.
PLEASE NOTE: All Nevada Public Radio employees and interns must receive both doses of the Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, or the single-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine and any approved boosters, unless granted an exemption for medical or religious reasons.