Marie Philip School
Functional Academics - Students with Moderate to Severe Disabilities
Full time- Exempt/Salary
- $1,500 Sign-on Bonus
- Housing Resources Available
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Benefits include: Health; Dental; Vision; Life and Disability Insurance; Employer-Matching 403B; Sick/Personal/Vacation Time; Flexible Spending and Dependent Care
ASL Proficiency Required
TLC Diversity Statement:
The Learning Center for the Deaf is on a journey to create an inclusive and welcoming space for people of all backgrounds. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates our TLC community members' diverse narratives. We embrace and value multiple approaches, experiences, and perspectives. TLC believes that diversity fosters innovation. We are committed to cultivating a place where everyone can feel they belong.
About Marie Philip School:
MPS enrolls nearly 200 deaf and hard of hearing students on our Framingham, MA campus in an ASL/English bilingual, bicultural educational model.
The Learning Center for the Deaf is a nationally-recognized leader of services for deaf and hard of hearing children, adults and families. To learn more, click here.
For our Mission, click here.
Provides classroom instruction for children who have moderate to severe disabilities in addition to deafness, within a Secondary (grades 6-8 or 9-12+) setting. Prepares lesson plans and other instructional materials to match student ability levels and in accordance with the student's Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and state curriculum frameworks, including teaching life, community, and transition skills. Evaluates and documents appropriate data to monitor student progress and serves as an advisor/advocate for students. Works in a team, or departmental capacity as assigned. Grades and subjects vary.
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instruction of students with specific learning disabilities, speech or language impairments, intellectual disability, physical disabilities, emotional disability, multiple disabilities, visual impairments, autism spectrum disorder, or general deafness.
- Uses assessment to drive classroom instruction (formative and summative assessments).
- Plans instruction effectively, engages learners and uses appropriate instructional techniques.
- Monitors student understanding of the curriculum and adjusts instruction, materials, or assessments, where appropriate.
- Works collaboratively with other school staff on planning and implementing interdisciplinary curriculum and works constructively to suggest improvements and possible approaches.
- Writes annual IEP student goals and works steadily to help students attain these goals.
- Oversees the implementation of behavior plans designed for individual students, as needed
**Some lifting may be required when working with young students or students with special needs, however, TLC embraces and celebrates a spirit of inclusion and diversity, and reasonable accommodations and modifications will be made whenever possible. The diversity of our student population may require that some assignments have a heavier physical responsibility due to safety. If the opening for which you are applying will require more strenuous physical activity, the unique needs will be discussed at the time of interview.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Preferred Master’s degree in Deaf Education, Special Education, or a related field
- Certification in the areas of Deaf Education or Special Education
- Bachelor’s degree in content area or a related area
- American Sign Language proficient required
- Written English language competency
- Licensed or able to be licensed by Massachusetts DESE as a Teacher of the Deaf or a Teacher of Moderate or Severe Disabilities
- Ability to work effectively as part of an educational team
This position is open on a rotating basis, until all vacancies are filled.