Braver is a tech-enabled behavioral health company scaling a proven solution for the child anxiety crisis. Our team of mobile exposure coaches and doctors works alongside kids and families in homes, schools, and wherever anxiety lives. Braver builds on a decade of work by co-founders, child psychologist Abbe Garcia, PhD and child psychiatrist Brady Case, MD, getting exposure therapy out of offices and into the real world, where we can see and act on the avoidance behaviors and family interactions that perpetuate anxiety. Our smart-working, jovial culture is fueled by a shared passion to meaningfully change the trajectory of the mental health epidemic in our country.
Staff psychologists at Braver provide supervision of and direct clinical services for child and adolescent patients with anxiety disorders at the outpatient level of care. A primary responsibility of this role is supervising bachelor’s-level mobile exposure coaches who deliver a significant portion of the direct patient care. Staff psychologists will supervise three coaches, each of which carries a caseload of approximately 18 patients. Group supervision will be conducted daily for approximately one hour, and each coach will have roughly one hour of individual supervision with the psychologist weekly.
Patients receive two contacts with the Braver team each week. One of those weekly contacts is group therapy. Groups comprise up to 9 patients such that each coach will have about two groups of patients on their caseload at a time, and by extension, the psychologist will be supervising 6 groups of patients at a time. To facilitate supervision, psychologists will attend approximately one in-person group for each of those cohorts every month. Use of the Braver iOS app will significantly enhance the psychologist’s visibility into the coach’s work and will facilitate an efficient, advanced level of supervision.
The psychologist will provide family therapy sessions approximately once per month (but not less than every 6 weeks) for all cases they are supervising. These sessions will address family-level dynamics that may not be addressed during exposure coaching sessions and will also give psychologists direct contact with the patient and family, which will facilitate case conceptualization and treatment planning. Case conceptualization and treatment are grounded in behavioral principles with a particular emphasis on an exposure therapy approach.
Primary Location & Schedule
Although this position will include delivery of virtual treatment, which can be done from the psychologist’s home, a portion of the work (e.g., in-person group therapy) will occur at Braver’s offices in RI. Given the outpatient nature of this work, and the fact that children and adolescents will be in school during the day, it is necessary to periodically attend and supervise group therapy that takes place in the evening (i.e. between 6 and 8:30 pm), and each day’s start time is adjusted accordingly.
The Braver Model of Care
- Delivered by a team comprised of a staff psychologist and a mobile exposure coach
- Tailored and customized to meet the needs of individual patients
- Likely to have an active treatment phase of approximately 4 months, followed by a maintenance phase of unspecified duration
- Designed to include individual, family, and group treatment modalities
- Delivered in a hybrid fashion, combining both in-person and video-enabled telehealth services
- Centered around the delivery of high quality in vivo exposure therapy
- Facilitated by Braver’s custom iOS app that captures in vivo exposure exercises (a.k.a Braver Challenges) completed during sessions
Requirements & Qualifications
- Ph.D. or Psy.D. degree from an accredited institution
- Licensed as a psychologist in Rhode Island and/or Massachusetts (or licensed in another state and willing to become licensed in RI and/or MA)
- Experience treating children and adolescents with anxiety disorders using exposure therapy is preferred
- Solid computer and basic technology skills
- Commitment to evidence-based psychotherapy
- Interest in working collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities in a fast-moving environment
Braver offers competitive compensation as well as a generous benefits package including a 401k plan with company matching and immediate vesting, medical insurance with employer contributions, as well as a robust Paid Time Off (PTO) package. In addition, Braver provides opportunities for professional advancement and growth. Interested and qualified applicants should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.