Homestead Gardens, the largest enclosed garden center in the Baltimore and Washington, D.C. metropolitan area and one of the country’s leading garden centers, has a job opportunity for an experienced Retail Buyer for it's retail stores. This full-time position is responsible for planning, selecting and purchasing goods and merchandise for our retail locations, while monitoring and managing inventory control for the stores.
- Full responsibility as a product Buyer for the retail stores, wholesale and production facilities, including traveling to industry trade shows, growers, garden centers and other sources to select and purchase top quality products as approved.
- Review inventory levels regularly and make adjustments in pricing as needed to sell through seasonal products in a timely manner.
- Analyze selling trends and coordinate merchandising and pricing strategies with the Department Manager. Also apprise of all shipping and special orders.
- Assist with merchandising the sales area and developing marketing programs, advertising, promotions and workshops with the aid of the Marketing Department.
- Proven experience as a retail buyer or relevant role.
- Outstanding communication skills and excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills and the ability to create and maintain good relationships with our suppliers.
- Experience in budgetary management, developing and meeting annual sales goals
- Market research, data analysis and forecasting techniques a plus.
- Must be familiar with purchasing best practices.
- Attention to detail with the ability to think creatively and operate with some flexibility.
- Good computer/technology skills, with a willingness to grow.
- Great customer service skills and communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as a leader and a member of the team.
- Ability to work flexible schedules during busy periods and availability to travel to industry-related events as required.
- Knowledge of Google and G-Suite products.
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree and/or minimum of 3+ years experience as a retail buyer or as an assistant buyer. Retail garden center or horticultural environment a plus.
Homestead Gardens offers full-time employee benefits such as Health, Dental, Vision, 401(k), as well as paid time off and Holidays.
Because Life Should Be Beautiful!