The Associate Brand Planning Director reports to the Director of Strategic Planning, and is expected to have an excellent understanding of the skills outlined below. The ABP Director is expected to execute the responsibilities below independently, with high-level guidance from the Director. The Associate Brand Planning Director therefore needs to be able both to lead projects and thinking, and to take direction from agency leadership. In addition, the ABP Director will be client-facing and should earn client trust.
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
- Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interact professionally with other employees, clients and vendors.
- Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
- Arm the client and the agency with the right information needed to drive success, including consumer/customer data and information, cultural trends, digital analytics, media analytics, and industry insights.
- Lead the method of information gathering, including secondary source information, syndicated data and trend sources, owned data analytics, and primary/custom research. Think of ways to push the envelope and do research differently.
Analyze and Synthesize
- Synthesis is one of the most important, most valued skills of a Planner. Planners must know their audience and distill large amounts of information to meet their needs. Provide focus.
- Know the difference between observation and insight. Push internal and external teams to insist on insights.
Champion the Brand and the RP3 Approach
- Create, evolve and regularly use RP3 formats for strategy documents (e.g., creative brief, Brand Platform, customer journey maps, message hierarchy, etc.).
- Embrace the RP3 brand strategy philosophy and process. Follow it and represent it accurately to clients.
- Ensure internal colleagues understand RP3 philosophies, process and formats.
- Customize process and approach to meet individual client and new business pitch needs.
- Contribute thought-leadership that supports and grows RP3's reputation.
- Position the RP3 approach effectively for new business opportunities.
Inspire and Steward Ideas
- Identify interesting, important and/or insightful information that is useful to our internal and external audiences (creative, creative tech, account leadership, media, agency leadership, and/or clients). Information is considered useful if it helps others form ideas, support existing ideas, or move businesses forward.
- Once inspired ideas have been born, sensitively steward them from a high-level strategic point of view. Guide development from the point of view of the target audience.
- Work effectively within varying scopes of work. Recommend additional scope opportunities when appropriate.
- Be a thought leader among your agency colleagues, helping to direct or re-direct projects and deliverables to produce the best possible outcomes.
The Associate Brand Planning Director does not manage any resources.
This is a full-time position. This position regularly requires long hours and occasional weekend work.
- BS/BA (preferably in fields related to communication, analysis and/or critical thinking, such as journalism, liberal arts, human behavior sciences).
- 8+ (s) experience as an account planner or researcher in the brand strategy or communications fields
- Understanding of market research and data analysis
- Knowledge of business operations and procedures
- Demonstrable strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills