Our Mortgage Specialist originates residential mortgage loans and develops relationships with borrowers and referral sources; performs a wide range of outside sales duties relating to the origination of residential loans; and assumes overall responsibility for the residential mortgage loan from application through closing.
You would develop new business, structure, and see loans through to closing, as well as maintain and service an existing customer base. In addition, you would represent the company in the local community through active participation in community affairs and participate in marketing all the company’s products and services.
The development of the skills necessary to be a successful Mortgage Specialist can take years to learn. Our plan is to give you those skills and knowledge over our two-year training program to excel in your career. The timing could be faster or slower depending on your desire and how quickly you learn. Each program is tailored to fit each individual’s personal style and needs.
Phase 1 – Work with a Trainer to learn
Study, complete your education and take your test necessary to become a Licensed Mortgage Originator (required). Then learn the following, and much more: your role, our motto and business model and feel comfortable with the job description; mortgage terminology; the mortgage loan cycle; our culture and the importance of raving fan service; the loan programs. You'll also begin to build upon your initial knowledge and licensing by learning: how to contact previous customers to do client reviews; the importance of the whole team in the mortgage process; how to take an application from a borrower; and discuss all initial documents a borrower receives and how to review these with your borrower; communication skills; and how to underwrite a mortgage loan; how to pre-qualify a borrower.
Phase 2 – Learn how to be an independent Mortgage Specialist
We'll put your knowledge and newly-gained experience to use in this phase: making calls to borrowers to solicit referrals and keep in contact; learning how to trouble shoot issues and resolve them (Underwriting, Timing, Disclosures, Market Value issues). Learn how to give updates to Realtors; learn how to manage a pipeline (not your own yet); learn how and when to lock loans and information about the secondary market, and how to handle a complaint properly and turn it around into a raving fan. Work on building your own business with Realtors, Financial Planners, Tax Accountants and other affinity partners and learn which local organizations to join. Begin managing your own pipeline; learn how to get your own referrals and mine your database for previous customers; continue to learn and practice trust-based selling; and learn how to set up a business plan annually (required of all sales employees in December). Determine how to run your own business inside of our company – make the most of it; and learn the importance of the mindset of working with borrowers until they are debt free.
MORTGAGE SPECIALIST ESSENTIAL DUTIES, TASKS, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop referral contacts (realtors, builders, professional and personal contacts) to generate a client stream.
- Maintain knowledge of available loan products, processing procedures, and underwriting and general departmental guidelines.
- Obtain client information for loan applications and answer questions about the process.
- Develop relationships with borrowers until they are debt-free.
- Analyze applicants’ financial status, credit, and property evaluations to determine feasibility of granting loans.
- Determine the appropriate loan program, rate, and fee structure, then sell this package to customer and modify where applicable to obtain a final commitment from the customer.
- Consistently maintain files that include benefits of the new loan, needs of the customer, and two to three options when feasible.
- Communicate with company and/or applicants in providing timely updates and progress reports.
- Set-up and attend meetings with the customer at a company office, Realtors office, or customer’s home.
- Collect appropriate documentation from each applicant and deliver loan package within established time standards.
- Manage pipeline for all originated loans through closing and complete required management reports.
- Maintain high levels of customer service while managing each applicant's and support staff's expectations.
- Adhere to all Federal and State regulations.
- Confer with underwriters to aid in resolving mortgage application problems.
- Handle customer complaints and take appropriate action to resolve them.
- Organize and orchestrates the loan closing. The mortgage specialist will be required to close a specified number of loans per month based on an average loan fee.
- Support the Company’s strong relationship of “raving fan service” culture through on-going customer contact, quality customer service, and superior product knowledge.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in Sales, Business Management, Business Administration, or Finance (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Ability to obtain appropriate state-specific mortgage banking license (subject to credit and background checks)
- Sound judgment and independent problem-solving skills
- Self-motivation with strong desire to excel in a competitive environment
- Strong oral and written communications skills
- Demonstrated organizational, teamwork and customer service skills
- Knowledge and proficiency in basic sales techniques
- Excellent mathematical skills
Equity Resources, Inc. is a privately owned and operated mortgage bank headquartered in Newark, Ohio. We are licensed in 18 states, including Washington D.C., and operate branch offices in many of those locations. Our vision and purpose at Equity Resources, Inc. is quite simply to Improve the Lives of Families. We pride ourselves in creating Raving Fans of our customers AND our employees. We are celebrating our 29th year in business and are continuing to grow! Come join our team!
Equity Resources offers a comprehensive total compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k); company-paid life insurance; and much more!
Equity Resources is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability that can be reasonably accommodated without undue hardship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.