DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors and ensures guests are accounted for in accordance with regular shelter schedule.
- Provides support, encouragement and accountability to guests.
- Utilizes Shelter check-in process with volunteers to make sure guests are present and all beds are filled for the night.
- Supervises over-night activities including:
- Checks-in guests using basic screening tool to determine if there are ill guests who need to be isolated, or may be intoxicated or have a disability
- Maintains order enforcing firm behavioral standards consistently and with firm kindness.
- Observes guests who may be experiencing mental health issues to ensure that they are safe for others and not a danger to themselves. Call for ambulance assistance if any guest needs to be taken to the hospital for a mental health evaluation during the night.
- Observes and ensures safe operation during evening activities including television, beverages, snacks, etc.
- Assists guests in securing pets in the provided kennels and informing them regarding shelter pet policies and processes
- Writes referrals to RAP case managers while guests are asleep as requested and to complete data entry into HMIS system
- Strict adherence to all safety policies and procedures
- Awaken guests so they are can vacate the building on time each morning
- Ensures that each guest returns the blanket they were issued for the evening before leaving
- Responds appropriately to emergency situations such as guest misbehavior, fire, water damage, or accidents.
- Contacts Shelter Manager immediately in the event of any incident involving dismissal of guest, altercations that are not resolved by verbal intervention. Documents incidents and write-ups in an accurate and timely manner and submits reports promptly to Director or designated supervisor.
- Completes on-line safety incident reports as required by SRM policy.
- Submits daily report to supervisor documenting activities, incident reports and summarizing issues and needs related to the shelter.
- Understands and operate all security systems including alarms, fire panel and smoke detectors.
- Responds to and diffuse interpersonal situations before escalation; handle disputes and altercations appropriately.
- Maintains orderliness, oversee daily schedule to maintain cleanliness and safety of warming shelter.
- Take opportunities to share the gospel of Jesus Christ, provide prayer support as needed or requested.
- Conducts fire drills and emergency evacuation procedures as scheduled or instructed.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Committed Christian, able to provide a clear Biblical testimony of a personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior.
- Desire to serve the Lord in ministry to the lost, hungry, cold and frightened. Be able and willing to exercise compassion and discernment while modeling the pursuit of Christ likeness.
- Able to engage in natural conversation with guests of the warming shelter, offering hope for change in a journey from brokenness to a new life based on relationship with Jesus Christ
- Handle crisis and unexpected situations with calm and clear thinking, demonstrating good analysis and judgment to bring resolution.
- Trustworthy, reliable, insightful and perceptive.
- Able and willing to maintain confidentiality
- Knowledge of addiction and recovery preferred
- Able and willing to honor and uphold the leadership and mission of SRM.
- Thorough, systematic and organized with regard to security and protocol.
- Street knowledge and understanding of anger management highly desired
Minimum high school diploma or GED, Associates Degree preferred
- Previous experience working within a Christian recovery environment desired
- Computer literate, able to use basic office equipment
- CPR/First Aid preferred
- Able to read, write and perform basic mathematical computations
- Two years of sobriety if in recovery
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL FACTORS:
Occasionally = 1%-33%; Frequently = 34%-66%; Continuously = 67%-100%
Climbing stairs – occasionally
Lifting –occasionally, up to 40 lbs
Bending - occasionally