Perform minor and major mechanical repairs with minimal supervision to ensure proper performance and safety of company vehicles. Must have a full understanding of how to properly maintain commercial motor vehicles according to DOT regulations, and is crucial to the safe and productive operation of the company fleet.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Evaluate mechanical and electrical problems in vehicles using diagnostic equipment.
- Assist or perform rebuilds, replacements, or repairs of major vehicle components, assemblies, and systems including, but not limited to, engines, transmissions, suspensions, hydraulics, brake systems, etc.
- Road test vehicles to troubleshoot problems and/or test repairs to ensure proper and safe completion.
- May perform road calls to make repairs on trucks broken down while driving collection routes, as needed.
- Check and repair electrical and cooling systems, and install heaters and similar accessories.
- Help maintenance technicians evaluate minor mechanical problems, and inspect repairs completed.
- Do welding and perform minor body work.
- Read and interpret VCR’s (vehicle condition reports) and/or repairs orders, communicates with supervisor and/or driver for clarification of problems. May discuss preventative techniques with drivers to minimize future repairs.
- Estimate time and materials required to perform major repairs.
- Analyze engine performance and perform tune-ups as needed.
- Perform routine vehicle maintenance and preventive care.
- Maintain accurate, updated preventive maintenance records.
- Assist with training of maintenance technicians.
- Operate tools, equipment, and machinery according to company safety procedures, and follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area in compliance with company and OSHA Standards, ensuring shop equipment and tools are in safe operating condition.
- Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
- Perform additional responsibilities as needed.