A mortgage originator procures new mortgage transactions for the Bank. The originator’s primary responsibility is to bring new mortgage loan business to the bank. Responsibilities include taking qualified and complete loan applications, collecting the requisite supporting documentation, and submitting loan packets to the bank’s production office. Originator is responsible for maintaining client contact to assist production with clearing stipulations to effect the eventual loan closing. Originator also supports production by soliciting realtors, builders, and other partners to establish business relationships, and by soliciting all types of residential mortgage loan prospects.
REPORTS TO: Mortgage Sales Manger
1. Portray the proper bank image by maintaining good customer relations, both internal and external
2. Perform duties accurately, efficiently and in a timely manner
3. Develop relationship banking for your clients: Get to know them, greet them by name, and SELL or CROSS-SELL. (Tracking sales and referral efforts and results.)
4. Get to know our organization thoroughly - what it stands for, the services it offers, and who are the staff members involved in providing particular services. Through you, your client will be assisted in understanding how valuable ChoiceOne can be to them
5. Be flexible, possess the ability to manage priorities and handle multiple tasks
6. Conduct yourself according to our corporate values
7. Know our Mission Statement: “Provide superior service, high-quality advice, and show utmost respect to everyone we meet."
1. Excellent People Skills.
2. Flexible, dependable, and service-oriented.
3. Good organizational and communication skills. Excellent written and verbal skills.
4. Computer knowledge - Windows, Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, miscellaneous software applications (basic working knowledge).
5. High School Diploma or equivalent.
6. Five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively more responsible job-related experience to become familiar with all lending functions and regulatory requirements.
7. A thorough knowledge of the lending function.
8. General Accounting Knowledge.
9. Ability to perform minimal data entry.
10. Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
11. Ability to meet established deadlines.
1. Accountable to senior management for the fulfillment of their functions, responsibilities, and proper interpretation of authority.
2. Extensive contact with clients, the public, and the community and to conduct relationships in a manner that will enhance the overall strategy and marketing efforts of the organization.
3. Involvement in community organizations and participation in community projects and events as deemed appropriate.
1. Proactive business development.
2. Accept mortgage loan applications and interview loan applicants according to policies, procedures, and guidelines established by ChoiceOne, regulatory agencies, and other appropriate entities. Collect information for evaluation of borrower’s creditworthiness and merits of the specific loan request.
3. Keeps informed of market conditions and competitive interest rates.
4. Continually reviews journals, articles, publications, and other material to review regulatory and legal changes pertinent to their area of lending to ensure that policies and procedures comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
5. Understands the loan underwriting standards.
6. Is responsible for maintaining compliance with all applicable laws and regulations concerning their job function.
7. Make sales calls and actively sell appropriate products and services to existing and potential clients.
8. Sales planning,
9. Assist clients and co-workers with client relationship needs.
10. Develop relationships and knowledge which encourage referrals and synergies with co-workers.
11. Develop partnerships with commercial, consumer, investment, and insurance divisions.
12. Participate in staff meetings, including communication of information to staff members.
13. Attend meetings as deemed appropriate.
14. Involvement in marketing of products, services, and promotions related to mortgage loan campaigns and marketing efforts of the organization.
15. Takes appropriate actions necessary to remain abreast of and adhere to all applicable banking/consumer regulations.
16. Inherent duty and responsibility to make recommendations to manager concerning possible methods of improvement.
17. Make recommendations to manager concerning budgetary needs.
18. Develop rapport and utilize communication skills in dealing professionally with internal and external clients.
19. Is responsible for being familiar with and complying with the provisions of the Bank Secrecy Act and USA PATRIOT Act as they relate to the functions of this position. Completes all required reports related to those acts and reports any observed violations or potential violations of those acts to a supervisor or other appropriate bank officer.
20. Performs other duties as may be required from time to time.