The Mechanical Designer works under the direction of the Design Team Leader and also utilize independent judgment to perform the day-to-day project duties of designing, developing and releasing deliverables. This includes detail & assembly drawings and related bills-of material used in the fabrication of equipment for pilot and commercial scale biopharmaceutical manufacturing (largely pressure vessel assemblies for fluid & gas handling and motorized agitation systems). Primary responsibility involves generating design plans utilizing Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD software. This position requires a high level of attention to detail along with the ability to develop a strong understanding of the ASME/ BPE Bioprocessing Equipment design standards.
• Ability to work in a professional team-based office environment and meet date-driven customer-focused commitments.
• Review and comprehend customer generated specifications and requirements.
• Design and maintain documents with technical support from project engineering and project management
• Create / maintain component BOM documentation
• Create / maintain piping arrangement drawings (Top assembly and Piping module) using P&ID and customer specifications consisting of however not limited to; 3D models, detail drawings, spool drawings & bill of materials.
• Create / maintain agitation system designs
• Generate Engineering Change Notices (ECN’s)
• Create and maintain project files using departmental resources and best practices.
• Conduct model design reviews with both internal resources as well as externally with customers and project management.
• Record needed changes during design review processes and ensure they are communicated to the project team using departmental resources / best practices.
• Provide manufacturing support related to published designs and released design documentation as required.
• Generate “as-built” design documentation and provided them to the Quality department as needed.
• Execute other tasks as assigned
• Ability to travel when required
• Associates Degree or Ireland Advanced Certificate (Level 6) in Computer Aided Design and Drafting or equivalent
• 1 year post graduate in drafting and design
• Knowledge of 3D Parametric CAD
• Proficient with Microsoft Office applications; including Word and Excel.
• Detail oriented with a solid understanding of drafting standards, design fundamentals, and related fabrication processes.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Good organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
• Must work well both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Responsible for creating and maintain piping arrangement drawings (Top assembly and Piping module) with 3D models, spool drawings & bill of materials.
• Generate Engineering Change Notices (ECN’s) used to properly document and publish control changes made to Design documentation as specified in company procedures, work instructions and best practices.
• Domestic and international travel is required.
• Other work as assigned to support projects and / or customer expectations as needed
Other Preferred Requirements
• Demonstrated ability to carry a project from conception to production.
• 1-2 years in a related industry using 3D parametric CAD-based software with direct experience processing ECN’s, BOM’s and other related design documentation.
• Prior experience using Autodesk Inventor and/or Routed Systems
• Prior experience using Autodesk AutoCAD 2D/3D.
• Experience with ERP software for item and bill-of-material creation; Syteline preferred.
• Experience with ASME /BPE Bioprocessing Equipment standards.
ABEC is a leading supplier to the biopharmaceutical manufacturing industry. ABEC’s unique value is based on combining long experience with the ability to engineer, design, manufacture, commission, qualify, and service the entire bioprocess to reduce overall cost, shorten time to market, and maximize productivity. ABEC’s products include process and equipment engineering/consulting services, comprehensive site services, bioreactors and fermenters, filtration and chromatography systems, prep and hold systems, and cleaning/sterilization systems.