FLORIDA PARISHES JUVENILE DETENTION CENTER
POSITION TITLE: Food Services Manager
Nature of Work
Work activities in this class are of a managerial and manual nature requiring knowledge of methods and materials within a commercial food services environment. The primary function of the position involves the development and execution of a menu plan for the juvenile population within the Detention Center. [This menu plan shall be approved by a licensed dietician.] In addition, and to accomplish the primary function, the Food Services Manager coordinates and oversees the work of a team of cooks, as well as the procurement and budgeting process of the Food Services Section.
The Food Services Manager reports directly to the Director of Facilities.
Illustrative Examples of Work
The Food Services Manager:
• Is responsible for all food vendor procurement, food/supply orders, preparation, storage, and all food use documentation;
• Completes purchase requisitions, ensuring their approval through the Director of Facilities;
• Works closely with the Director of Facilities to ensure that ordering food and other items does not exceed the amount of food service funds available;
• Maintains inventories of food products, supplies and equipment;
• Ensures compliance with federal and state guideline with respective meal reimbursement programs and any nutritional guidelines;
• Supervises Food Service Cooks and prepares menus for meals at the Detention Center, to include necessary food preparation;
• Ensures all staff working in the Food Services section maintain proper hygiene and sanitation practices as required;
• Develops monthly menu plans, to include oversight by a licensed dietician if the manager is not already so licensed;
• Maintains records of meals prepared and served;
• Maintains per capita calculations for meals served;
• Ensures that meals are properly prepared and served according to the menu schedule;
• Ensures that the nutritional needs of detained youth are met;
• Conducts regular and unscheduled inspections as defined by FPJDC Policy;
• Maintains records and documentation as required;
• Ensures youth assigned special diets are upheld as ordered by the FPJDC’s Contracted Physician and nursing staff, issuing meals only according to those orders;
• Ensures the food service area, food storage, restroom, chemical storage, tray wash area, and dining hall remain neatly arranged and immaculately clean at all times; and
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities and/or the Executive Director.
THE FLORIDA PARISHES JUVENILE DETENTION CENTER IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Necessary Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
The position requires:
• A high school diploma or equivalency;
• Experience of 2 or more years in food services management;
• Knowledge of laws and health regulations involved in food preparation;
• Knowledge of standard commercial kitchen tools and equipment;
• Knowledge of food nutrition and menu preparation;
• Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions applicable to the food services industry;
• The ability to work in proximity of fellow employees and detained youth; and
• The ability to effectively manage a team of employees, providing training, direction and accountability.
Desirable Training and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in one of the health or nutritional sciences;
• Licensed as a Dietician in the State of Louisiana;
• Serve Safe Certification.