This position may be located in: Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, or Madhya Pradesh
Founded in 1991, the Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) is a US not-for-profit organization that builds the capacity of local leaders and organizations to address important global issues including climate change, sustainable development, and environmental protection, resulting in embedded capacity and lasting change. Headquartered in the USA, ISC currently operates in the United States, China, Bangladesh and India. ISC has an international staff cohort of approximately 55 people.
ISC has been operating in India since 2012, leading improvements in urban sustainability and in sustainable manufacturing through capacity building in partnership with corporations, governments, educational institutions and civil society. ISC is currently implementing programs funded by USAID, Mahindra and Mahindra, the Rockefeller Foundation and the MacArthur Foundation. ISC has offices in New Delhi and Mumbai and partners with Symbiosis Institute of International Business to operate the EHS+ Center in Pune.
The Project Manager manages the day-to-day implementation and continuous improvement of ISC's Resilient Manufacturing Communities (RMC) Project in India. The RMC project is designed to help factory clusters across India develop and implement high-caliber resilience strategies, while advancing resilience of the communities, through a multi-stakeholder engagement platform. The project is designed to transform the way factories and communities work together to manage water resources, assess shared risks, reduce shared vulnerabilities and improve water resilience in watersheds in two manufacturing communities. The project will engage the private sector to leverage its resources in service to public sector water resilience goals. It also aims to build a business case that documents the value proposition and rationale for broader private sector engagement in public water management.
Specifically, the Project Manager will:
- Work closely with India Country Director and other implementing partners of the project to refine, continuously improve, implement and evaluate the project;
- Coordinate and evaluate place-based engagements (strategic, technical and/or financial assistance) in at most two factory clusters, and lead ISC's engagement in those places;
- Develop and sustain relationships with implementing partners, donor organizations and key stakeholders such as national, state and local government bodies, citizen groups and factory management.
- Lead the planning and implementation of multi-stakeholder engagements such as trainings and workshops.
- Identify appropriate financing options and facilitate proposal development for improved water management, increased water access and toxic remediation.
- Lead the peer-learning element of the project, including the design, delivery and evaluation of peer-learning workshops and conference;
- Work closely with the Communications Officer to develop and disseminate a series of major knowledge products on best practices and lessons learned;
- Support monitoring, evaluation and learning for the project;
- Collaborate with the Finance & Operations Officer to develop and manage the project work plan and budget;
- Communicate project activities, challenges and accomplishments to ISC’s India Country Director and relevant ISC staff;
- Work collaboratively with a distributed team of professionals, including consultants and matrixed staff.
- Advanced degree in engineering, economics, business administration, industrial planning, environmental management, water management, community development or other related degree. An equivalent level of direct professional experience beyond a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) will be considered;
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience, preferably working with or for community-based nonprofit organizations and/or collaboration with relevant agencies (e.g. urban local bodies) and management of factory-level engagements;
- Demonstrated experience planning, implementing and evaluating complex projects with multiple funding sources;
- Knowledge of industries, financial and educational institutions, NGOs, and governmental agencies at the local, state and national levels working in industrial regulation and policy, water management and toxics remediation;
- Proven experience in stakeholder engagement and community mobilization;
- Ability to work collaboratively with distributed, highly matrixed team;
- Experience in training needs assessment, curriculum development, capacity development delivery, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Ability to work proactively and independently, and collaborate as necessary;
- Ability to prioritize work assignments appropriately and manage the pressure of conflicting demands;
- Proficient in use of Microsoft Office suite, Google applications, Internet browsers, and other software;
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills;
- Strong work ethic and personal integrity;
- Proven analytical and organizational skills;
- Ability to travel within India and internationally;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Hindi. Fluency or working proficiency in other Indian languages such as Tamil, Gujarati and Marathi preferred;
- Commitment to ISC mission and goals.
Read this information carefully. Adhering to these instructions will ensure that your application is submitted as required for hiring committee review.
1) A cover letter is required. Your cover letter should be no more than one (1) page in length.
2) A resume is required. Your resume should be no more than three (3) pages in length and should include details about your relevant education, skills and experience as they relate to this role.
3) Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not be returning emails or phone calls inquiring about the status of an application. If the hiring committee selects your application for interview you will be contacted directly by a member of our team.
Special Instructions for Applicants with International Addresses
This system currently requires a US home address be entered. If your address is outside of the US, indicate your current home address on your resume and cover letter. Enter the ISC headquarters office address in your system profile: 535 Stone Cutters Way, Montpelier, VT 05602.