GrowNYC is a 50-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more
sustainable life. In particular, our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites, and GrowNYC Wholesale ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
GrowNYC Wholesale is a Bronx-based hub for source-verified, high-quality, fair-priced local foods to meet the city’s burgeoning demand for local food in wholesale volumes. GrowNYC Wholesale is a local food distribution service
with a two-pronged mission: to create a profitable wholesale marketplace for regional farm and food businesses, and to create transparent, efficient supply chains that increase all New Yorkers’ access to high-quality, locally produced
Position Responsibilities: Reporting to the Operations and Logistics Manager and the Warehouse and Facilities Manager, GrowNYC Wholesale Warehouse Staff are part of a team responsible for receiving, inventory management, order fulfillment, and delivery. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Receive daily deliveries of local produce from various farmers and vendors;
• Ensure produce quality through inspections upon delivery, proper handling, cold chain/temperature maintenance;
• Efficiently and accurately break down full pallets of produce and move to the appropriate storage locations;
• Efficiently and accurately pack orders for individual clients, and prepare orders for delivery;
• Maintain a neat, sanitary, and organized space in the walk-in cooler and dry storage areas;
• Assist with warehouse maintenance tasks such as garbage/recycling, equipment maintenance, and janitorial tasks;
• Report to and take direction from Warehouse and Facilities Manager and work cooperatively with all GrowNYC staff;
• Ride along with drivers as a driver helper, contacting customers along the delivery route, and assisting with unloading/delivering orders as needed.
• Experience with warehouse operations and/or fresh produce a must;
• Awareness of produce quality and food safety standards at a wholesale level;
• Stellar communication and ability to work as part of a team;
• Ability to take initiative as well as seek direction;
• Flexibility and willingness to occupy a position that grows and changes with the program and organization;
• Strong desire to work hard and make a true and positive impact for local farmers and the communities we serve;
• Ability to work flexible hours including very early mornings, evenings and weekends;
• Physical capacity to lift 50 lbs, stand for extended periods of time, and work in a noisy environment;
• Forklift certification, drivers license, and/or CDL highly favorable.
Schedule: This position is seasonal, with full-time hours from June-November. Year-round hours of work are based on order volume. Shifts are Sunday-Friday and typically start at 9 am. Some scheduled shifts may need to start earlier per operational needs.
Compensation: This position is a non-exempt seasonal and variable hourly position. It pays $16 per hour plus an additional $3 per hour for work done in the field effective through June 30, 2020 and includes only statutory benefits.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.