The payroll specialist is accountable for collecting timekeeping information, incorporating a variety of deductions into a periodic payroll, and issuing paychecks and pay-related information to employees in an accurate and timely manner.
1. Knowledge of, understanding of and compliance to all QOD’s/SOP’s that are associated with this job description.
2. Actively participate in Hammer Packaging’s Lean, Quality, Product Safety, SQF (Safe Quality Foods) and Workplace Safety Programs.
3. Review and import employee timecards from the Attendance on Demand (AOD) time & attendance system to the Paylocity payroll system.
4. Process benefit and tax deductions as authorized by the HR department.
5. Process wage garnishments as required by law.
6. Verify new hires and terminations with the HR department.
7. Verify salary, wage and deduction changes with the HR department.
8. Keep track of and apply all union progressional raises when due/applicable.
9. Track and correct union employee’s checks for any overtime hours they may have turned down and/or given away by using a memo code for our Sheet Finishing and Press Departments.
10. Verify and correct missing deductions from employee absences due to disability, workers comp, lay-offs or anything that prevents a weekly or bi-weekly paycheck once the employee returns to work.
11. Review payroll documentation for accuracy through payroll audit reports, make any necessary adjustments and obtains necessary supervisor approvals.
12. Research and resolve questions from supervisors and employees as they relate to the processing of payroll information such as employee hours worked, vacation time, sick time, Hammer Bucks, jury duty, etc. Also request pertinent documentation as outlined by company policy.
13. Processes special payrolls including bonuses, commissions and any payroll corrections/adjustments.
14. Distribute payroll check stubs to employees at Lucius Gordon Drive and send remaining check stubs to Rochester Tech Park.
15. Post all payroll data to the accounting system via a journal entry on a weekly and bi-weekly basis. Make accrued payroll journal entry at month-end.
16. Book workers compensation journal entry based on payroll data and comp rates.
17. Update payroll system to reflect union contract rate changes, new certifications earned by union employees and United Way deductions.
18. Train and assist department managers and supervisors in the use of Attendance on Demand in accordance with rules of the union contract.
19. Process payroll journals and other reports for compensation, taxes paid, garnishments, and deductions as requested by the CFO or Controller.
20. Prepare weekly and bi-weekly overtime reports for senior management.
21. Prepare specialized reports by department for Director of HR and department managers as requested.
22. Process and issue annual W-2 forms to employees.
23. Create Union Vacation File every year of earned vacation hours by employee to be imported into AOD.
24. Track non-union employee vacation and personal days by department and employee as well as tracks all vacation days used and/or borrowed for union personnel.
25. Follow Hammer Packaging’s 6 Shared Values.
26. Other duties as assigned by the CFO.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
2-3 years of prior payroll experience (an Associate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree in accounting can be substituted for some experience).