GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION
The Intake Paralegal processes applications from potential low-income clients and makes decisions regarding eligibility for service using established guidelines through the use of software, and assists clients by gathering information and directing them to appropriate resources. The Intake Paralegal may convey to callers legal advice provided by an attorney.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Screens applicants to determine eligibility and potential conflicts of interest.
• Obtains case information from client to relay to attorney.
• Relays the legal facts and advice given by an attorney to the client, following up with written materials and careful documentation of all information.
• Maintains communications with other Legal Aid of Nebraska offices on eligible cases.
• Refers clients to other agencies when appropriate.
• Maintains paperwork, handbooks, copies, and various assigned projects.
• Maintains general office support and administration.
• Assists in implementing firm goal of expanding consumer, housing, and government benefits cases.
• Complies with all Legal Aid of Nebraska policies and procedures.
• Complies with all LSC regulations.
• Other duties as assigned
• Zero to three years of experience making direct customer contact and customer service.
• Must demonstrate the ability to work with people in extremely distressing situations.
• High School Diploma or equivalent required.
• Some college or formal education in paralegal studies from an accredited institution is desirable.
• Communication skills: Verbal & Written (with Management, Co-workers, Clients, Vendors, Attorneys).
• Computer skills and data entry (Microsoft suite programs, Pika, LHN, Phone system, ).
• Bilingual Intake Paralegals must demonstrate the ability to conduct client interviews and relay legal advice in a language needed by Legal Aid of Nebraska clients while documenting the interview and advice in English.
Minimal hazards. General office working conditions and any hazards associated with travel.