For over 80 years, Bender has been a market leader in providing electrical safety equipment to industries worldwide. Our wide portfolio of cutting-edge products ensure that people, equipment, and facilities worldwide are protected with the latest in electrical safety technology. Our worldwide network of over 70 offices, representatives, and partners offer comprehensive product, application, and technical support.
Bender's core competence is electrical safety. With expertise in virtually every industry, Bender provides both the products and knowledge to meet the demands for customer-specific solutions. Always on the cutting edge, our portfolio of electrical safety solutions focus on a wide range of industries, from mainstay industries such as hospitals, mining, and manufacturing, to newly developed industries such as solar, wind, and electric vehicles. Our ongoing research and development in virtually all industries ensures that no matter the application, you can count on Bender to be your partner in electrical safety.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow all Bender Inc. Safety Policies and Procedures, as well as the safety requirements of our customers where applicable.
- Perform electrical and mechanical design activities required to productize customer requests for electrical panels and enclosures incorporating Bender protective equipment, as directed by senior engineering staff.
- Generate Wiring Diagrams, Wire Lists, Panel Layouts, Enclosure Layouts, and BOMs for Electrical Control Enclosures using Solidworks and Solidworks Electrical.
- Design and generate Assembly Drawings and BOMs for Wiring Harnesses and custom Cable Assemblies, Electrical Enclosures, and related items, using Solidworks and SAP.
- Select appropriate grade, size, and color of wire used in the design of Electrical Enclosures and wire harnesses.
- Select appropriately sized electrical power transmission devices (fuses, relays, circuit breakers, contactors, etc) for Electrical Control Enclosures.
- Develop Acceptance Test and First Article Test Procedures. Perform/support first article build and tests and troubleshoot/resolve any issues.
- Support purchasing and manufacturing with questions regarding electrical components and with electrical assembly methods and documentation.
- Design and modify mechanical (primarily sheet metal) brackets, enclosures, assembly drawings, and related items
- Create modification drawings to alter commercially available electrical enclosures to meet custom project requirements
- Test and evaluate performance of new, modified, and second-source commercial and custom components
- Preparation of Engineering Change Notifications
- Generate sales drawings and sales submittals as necessary to support sales efforts
- Create BOMs and documentation as necessary to support sales of new configurations of isolated power panels to support BUH business activity
- Other mechanical engineering and drafting tasks as assigned.
- Provide support to Manufacturing to continually optimize inter-department workflows
- Review value-added & cost-saving design/component/material alternatives.
- Provide Quality Control – Inspection documents to accompany new and existing design packages.
- Support of compliance (UL- type) and/or other external engineering testing (EMI, for example).
- Provide phone support to resolve supplier and customer issues with the fabrication and use of electrical/electronic parts and assemblies.
- Identify and qualify alternate suppliers to resolve lead time, cost, and/or obsolescence issues.
- Work with internal & external stakeholders to ensure Bender’s technical literature is maintained and current.
- Create and document custom PLC code as necessary.
- Complete reports & metrics as required by management
- Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as necessary
Educational and Experience Requirements
- 4 year degree, preferably in Electrical Engineering. Minimum two years applicable professional experience. Formal educational requirement may be waived based on applicant’s experience level.
- Understanding of UL, NEC and associated regulatory requirements is required
- Thorough knowledge of SolidWorks solid modeling software including:
- 3D Models and Assemblies
- Mechanical Drawings
- Knowledge of industry standards related to design, inspection, and testing of sheet metal and other mechanical parts and assemblies, along with typical metal shop capabilities and practices relating to the fabrication of those items desired.
- Ability to read/understand schematic drawings, panel schedules, and specifications
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook)
- Experience with Salesforce & SAP
- Familiarity with Bender product line or comparable products is preferred
- Experience with selection and sizing of wires to comply with applicable UL, NEC, and other regulatory schema as required.
- Experience designing control enclosures to address cable size, density, dress, bend radii, strain relief, etc of multiple electrical conductors of various sizes.
- Experience working in a disciplined engineering design environment. Familiarity with product lifecycle management and associated design reviews/gates.
- Authorization to work in the US, No visa sponsorship available
Physical & Cognitive Demands
- Sitting for extended periods of time, some walking and standing
- Frequent operation and use of computer
- Occasional lifting and moving of 10-45 pounds
- Occasional stooping, bending, crouching, reaching or crawling
- Position requires manual dexterity and the ability to use hands/fingers, touch and feel
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Capable of adequate judgement, decision making, reasoning, comprehension, strong English written and verbal communication and stress control.
- Incumbent must have the ability to count accurately, add, subtract, multiply, divide and record, balance and check results for accuracy.
- Must be able to understand and follow basic English instructions and guidelines, complete routine paperwork, as well as prioritize work schedule
The above statements and information is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills required of personnel so classified. Nothing in this document is intended to exclude the opportunity for modifications or adjustment to the job or the manner of performing it consistent with the requirement to provide reasonable accommodations to the disabled. With or without accommodation, the essential functions must be performed. Employees unable to accomplish any functions may request reasonable accommodation’s pursuant to the Americans with Disability Act. In addition, employee must follow all Bender Inc. Safety Policies and Procedures, as well as the safety requirements of our customers where applicable.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.