Reports to: Café Manager and/or Café Assistant Manager
Status: Part time, hourly (between 10-25 hours per week, depending on need)
The Cafe Associate will work closely with the Café General Manager and Café Assistant Manager to ensure the smooth operation of the Museum Café, while upholding the standards set forth by the Cook Museum and Nature’s Table.
The Museum Café advances the mission and objectives of the Cook Museum of Natural Science by providing an enhanced guest experience through food service. The Cook Museum Café focuses on serving fresh, healthy, and delicious food and smoothies for Museum visitors. The Café Associate ensure the guest experience is greatly enhanced through a unique Café experience. Café Associate members will learn all positions from sandwich maker to cashier to kitchen prep, to jump into any role, at any time, to keep guests happy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and serve food and beverages for consumption on premises.
- Maintain the appearance of the Cafe, ensuring appropriate food standards as directed by the Café Manager.
- Become knowledgeable with the Museum’s membership program, collection, exhibitions, education programs, and special events if called upon to engage with patrons.
- Assist with verifying and stocking vendor deliveries.
- Assist wherever needed and in any reasonable capacity to ensure the smooth operation of the Café.
- Provides guidance to visitors in the event of an emergency.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability Requirements:
- Must naturally enjoy interacting with people of all ages.
- Ability to work independently and with initiative as well as a complementary team player.
- Ability to multi-task and think critically in a busy work environment.
- Effective communication skills: written, verbal, listening.
- Positive, motivated, high-energy, and detail-oriented.
Educational/Work Experience Requirements:
- At least two years customer service experience.
- Some food service experience helpful.
- Direct contact with customers.
- Will be trained on the use of some specialized café equipment.
- Regular exposure to non-hazardous cleaning chemicals (such as dish soap and sanitizer).
- Staff member will secure their cell phone during their shift; no personal cell phones will be allowed on the floor.
- General retail food operations, some lifting to 40 or 50 lbs.
- Regular bending, sitting, reaching; ability to read computer screens.
- Ability to stand and walk for a minimum of two hours without a break.
- This is a part time, hourly position
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule.