The Store Volunteer Program Coordinator focuses on volunteer program administration and engagement within the store. This individual works in tandem with both the Store Manager and Volunteer Program Manager to ensure successful implementation of the volunteer program and programmatic goals at the store. The Store Manager provides day-to-day supervision and support; the Volunteer Program Manager provides programmatic instruction and staff development. The three positions work collaboratively to establish SMART goals for the fiscal year - the Store Volunteer Program Coordinator then aims to achieve those goals by empowering staff and volunteers to work diligently toward the goals and mission of Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East by providing an excellent experience for all of our patrons (volunteers, donors, shoppers, and staff.)
The ideal candidate has a positive disposition and flexible attitude, is a team player and master problem-solver, and thrives on social interaction. This is a full-time (30hrs/wk), non-exempt position starting at $16.04 - $19.90 per hour (commensurate with experience) plus our full benefits package, including health insurance (medical, dental, vision, and alternative), generous paid time off, a matching retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, and more!
- Manage volunteer profiles - Receive and process volunteer applications in Volgistics
- Coordinate individual and group volunteer schedules
- Audit volunteer hours and maintain an accurate database
- Complete and verify timesheets and other necessary paperwork for program volunteers
- Coordinate onboarding with special programs
- Conduct volunteer orientation and follow up: order background checks and maintain volunteer records
- Assist the Volunteer Program Manager and Store Site Manager in training site staff in volunteer engagement and best practices in volunteer administration
Volunteer Engagement within Store
- Guide volunteer engagement in the store by working with staff to ensure appropriate volunteer assignments and placements.
- Lead individual volunteers and groups in store activities
- Focus on volunteer engagement, satisfaction, and involvement in the mission and goals of the ReStore
- Conduct volunteer surveys, intake interest assessments, exit interview, and other qualitative projects
- Conduct volunteer performance check-ins and coach volunteers accordingly
Volunteer Engagement with Volunteer Program Manager
- Recruitment – Assist with local events, tabling, and representing the ReStores at community events
- Onboarding – Fine-tune onboarding process for optimal efficiency
- Engagement – Encourage volunteers to reach the 100-hour benchmark, recognize volunteers for their contributions, coordinate distribution of volunteer apparel, and plan bi-monthly engagement events
- Data Analysis – Analyze volunteer statistics and work with Volunteer Program Manager to set appropriate goals for program growth
- High school diploma or equivalent and some college completion or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 2 years’ demonstrated experience in volunteer coordination or management
- Access to reliable transportation; valid driver license and clean driving record
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong computer skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated skill in group facilitation while creating a positive and inclusive environment for diverse groups of people
- Ability to multitask and complete projects with frequent interruptions
- Ability to lead with integrity, honesty, and knowledge that promotes the culture and values of Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East
- Ability to demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the volunteer perspective and best practices in volunteer administration
- Ability to meet people where they are and lead to a common goal
- Self-starter with the ability to be productive while working independently
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- This job operates in an open, warehouse retail environment
- This position is very active and requires consistent standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing
- This employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance and/or a team lift
- This position requires occasional local travel – typically to other Habitat locations
- 30 hours a week, includes weekends
- Current store hours: 10am-6pm Thursday - Monday
Applications should include a cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position, a resume, and three professional references.
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.