Founded in 1991, the Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) is a US not-for-profit organization that builds the capacity of local leaders and organizations to address important global issues including climate change, sustainable development, and environmental protection, resulting in embedded capacity and lasting change. Headquartered in the USA, ISC currently operates in the United States, China, Bangladesh and India. ISC has an international staff cohort of approximately 55 people.
ISC has been operating in India since 2012, leading improvements in urban sustainability and in sustainable manufacturing through capacity building in partnership with corporations, governments, educational institutions and civil society. ISC is currently implementing programs in India funded by USAID, Mahindra and Mahindra, the Rockefeller Foundation and the MacArthur Foundation. ISC partners with Symbiosis Institute of International Business (SIIB) to operate the EHS+ Center in Pune. ISC also has completed the Indian registration process and has acquired the necessary licenses to receive local funding as its own entity, the Organization for Sustainable Communities (OSC).
ISC seeks motivated and experienced Finance and Administration Director to lead ISC’s financial management and administration functions in India, to be located in Mumbai or Delhi.
The Finance and Administration Director will oversee all financial reporting, human resources management, and office administration in India. He/She will manage the day-to-day operations of the ISC office in India in coordination with the Country Director and headquarters’ (HQ) officials and directives. The Finance and Administration Director is responsible for the implementation and maintenance of high quality and efficient financial management systems that ensure financial compliance and accountability, minimize financial risk and facilitate financial planning.
Country Office Operations
- Support registration requirements for operating in India, including the FCRA application process for the Indian entity and liaison office registration for the parent organization. Identify consultants and work closely with them to complete FCRA application process, liaison office registration and other compliance related requirements from time to time.
- Oversee the startup and provide ongoing support for office locations in India, including lease negotiations (and renewals), renovations, asset procurement and infrastructure support (utilities, IT, etc).
Financial management and grant oversight
- Ensure that all ISC field office finance and procurement policies and reports conform to donor and ISC guidelines. Review all policies annually and submit recommendations on revisions to ISC HQ as needed.
- Ensure that all financial and procurement procedures are implemented by local staff.
- Provide regular training to field office staff on ISC field office finance and procurement policies and procedures.
- Supervise daily accounting operations and transactions in Quickbooks, monitoring all expenditures and ensuring that all transactions are in compliance with ISC and donor requirements.
- Manage ISC office cash flow according to ISC HQ policy.
- Oversee the production of all internal ISC financial management reports (balance sheet, bank and cash reconciliation, expenditure, etc.) including regular monthly reports submitted to ISC HQ by the 5th of the next month.
- Support ISC HQ with the production of all donor financial reports.
- Using Adaptive Insights software, develop a timely, accurate and complete annual operating budget and provide updated forecasts according to ISC HQ schedule.
- Ensure proper authorization from ISC HQ for opening new bank accounts or updating signature authorities on existing accounts.
- Oversee the financial aspects of sub awards including; the selection process, the completion of sub award agreements, the training and mentoring of sub awardees on financial requirements and reporting (including budgets, payments, and compliance) and approve their financial reports.
- Using Adaptive Insights software, maintain and monitor a schedule of budget vs. actual expenditures at the donor/grant level.
- Manage local audits and follow up on all audit comments and recommendations.
- Provide support for ISC HQ annual audits or donor requested audits/reviews.
- Communicate regularly with ISC HQ to expedite cash transfers, to submit financial reports, and to address financial questions or problems as quickly as possible.
- Meet regularly with program team and international staff to review grant expenditures and plan future expenditures.
- Contribute to, review and finalize financial reports and program budget.
- As requested, represent ISC India to university officials, government officials, funding prospects, partners, beneficiaries, and at conferences and other outreach opportunities.
- Communicate program activities, challenges and accomplishments to the India Country Director.
- Work collaboratively with other team members and international colleagues on meeting the organizational goals.
- Supervise, train, advise and review finance and operations team members.
- Oversee the hiring of new staff and ensure that hiring of all staff is in compliance with local employment laws and ISC policy. Ensure that the hiring process is objective and transparent.
- Work closely with Senior Human Resources Manager (HQ) to establish a clearly documented, transparent staff hiring system (Standard job descriptions, standardized interview process, documented hiring criteria, etc.)
- Develop a local staff human resources policy manual in compliance with local employment law and ISC policy.
- Work with ISC HQ Finance and Operation staff to update the ISC Field Office Financial Policies and Procedures to ensure compliance with local laws, as applicable.
- Supervise ISC office payroll calculations and related payments, tax and social contribution reports to local authorities and the preparation of any additional payroll related reports required by local labor laws.
- Supervise ISC office vendor contracts.
- Promote professional working relationships and resolve staff conflicts and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all local staff policies, contracts, and disciplinary documents conform to local labor laws and update annually.
- Other duties as assigned by the Country Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting. Master's degree or CPA equivalent preferred.
- Five years of managerial experience in the financial area of an international non-profit organization; preferably one which involved frequent interactions with global teams
- Experience and comfort with a reporting structure that would involve a local manager as well as finance counterparts/manager outside India
- Strong program management experience; budgeting, tracking and managing the finances of multiple development programs
- Familiarity in interacting and experience in managing relationships with finance partners (private and public), including financial reporting mechanisms and requirements of these partners (foundations, development agencies, corporates)
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, standard spreadsheet and database programs.
- Willingness to perform all levels of financial and operational functions.
- Fluency in English required
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills and ability to work well with a diverse team.
Office environment. Domestic and international travel required.
ISC is an equal opportunity employer.
Read this information carefully. Adhering to these instructions will ensure that your application is submitted as required for hiring committee review.
1) A cover letter is required. Your cover letter should be no more than one (1) page in length.
2) A resume is required. Your resume should be no more than three (3) pages in length and should include details about your relevant education, skills and experience as they relate to this role.
3) Due to the volume of applications we receive, we will not be returning emails or phone calls inquiring about the status of an application. If the hiring committee selects your application for interview you will be contacted directly by a member of our team.
Special Instructions for Applicants with International Addresses:
This system currently requires a US home address be entered. If your address is outside of the US, indicate your current home address on your resume and cover letter. Enter the ISC headquarters office address in your system profile: 535 Stone Cutters Way, Montpelier, VT 05602.