JOB SUMMARY: The Animal Control Officer will be responsible for enforcing all state and local laws pertaining to the welfare and control of all animals in the City of Alexandria, including the investigation of all animal complaints and the resolution of such cases through education and voluntary compliance, or legal action. Fluency in spoken Spanish required
This position is supervised by: Sergeant of Animal Services
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB INCLUDE:
- Investigating and resolving all complaints of cruelty to animals in the City of Alexandria in a prompt and efficient manner
- Enforcing all state and city laws pertaining to the humane care and control of animals
- Effectively working with attorneys, police officials, veterinarians, and others to resolve case of animal abuse and neglect
- Ensuring that everything legally possible and prudent has been done to improve the quality of life for the animal involved, alleviate its suffering, and to educate or take appropriate legal action with the animal’s custodian when answering a call
- Conducting follow-up with citizens, as appropriate, to ensure continuing compliance with laws and proper animal care; inspecting and issuing all permits indicated by law
- Complying with all aspects of the rabies control program
- Ensuring that animals are captured and transported as humanely and comfortably as possible and that emergency first aid and/or prompt veterinary care is rendered, if appropriate
- Picking up and disposing of dead animals on public, non-highway, roads within the City of Alexandria
- Humanely euthanizing animals when necessary
- Properly maintaining individual City animal control vehicles, ensuring that vehicles are supplied with all necessary equipment and are maintained in a sanitary manner, and verify if inspections are current
- Maintaining a polite, professional, and informative demeanor when interacting with other staff members, veterinarians, police department officials, attorneys, representatives from other agencies, and the general public
- Administrative duties and other duties as assigned to support the League’s team effort
- Must be fluent in spoken Spanish.
- Must be 21 years old
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Fluent in spoken Spanish
- Understanding of humane care and treatment of animals
- Proven ability to handle multiple tasks in a busy workplace environment
- Have the ability to accurately perform basic mathematical calculations
- Have a proven ability to interact with others in a positive and friendly manner
- Have the ability to learn State code and City ordinances
- Have the ability to attain certification as a euthanasia technician within the first six months of employment
- Have the ability to pass the state’s Animal Control Basic Course within one year of appointment
- Have the ability to pass course in chemical immobilization techniques within one year of employment
- Have the ability to receive rabies pre-exposure prophylaxis
- Have the ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Valid Driver’s License and the ability to drive a large vehicle
- Continuing education is required
- Training and/or experience in a law enforcement field
- Training and/or experience in an animal care field.
- The Animal Control Officer will work indoors in a high noise, air-conditioned/heated building; outdoors at the shelter; on-location for various activities.
- On-call overnight hours will be required and situations may sometimes involve unsafe and uncomfortable conditions where exposure to environmental factors, such as human or animal violence, disease, traffic, wetness, dust, or equipment and machinery pose a risk of injury.
- The job includes use of PC, laser printer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone, animal control van, and various animal control equipment
- Work hours will vary, with evening, weekend, and holiday hours required.
MENTAL, PHYSICAL AND COMMUNICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Regular exposure to animals, cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal feces, bites and scratches
- Regularly required to be able to communicate with staff, volunteers, and the public, both in writing and verbally
- Ability to maintain accurate data and records
- Requires working alone with minimal supervision
- Requires patience and tact when working with difficult or emotional people
- Conflict mediation and ability to resolve complaints from customers in a calm and friendly manner
- Requires treating people and animals in a courteous and respectful manner at all times
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related duties required by their supervisor. This document does not create an employment contract implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” relationship.