Purpose of the position is to uphold the Mission Statement, Statement of Faith, and Values of the Buffalo City Mission as defined in the Employee Handbook. THIS POSITION IS AT A WOMEN'S FACILITY. FEMALE CHAPLAINS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND FUNCTIONS
- Daily evangelism and outreach that draws new residents into services and faith
- Conduct assessment interviews with the intent of identifying spiritual needs and referrals.
- Assist clients in establishing goals with regard to their spiritual journey programs.
- Maintain accurate records and good organization of forms and files.
- Organize worship services in creative and spiritual ways.
- Regularly (as determined by goals and objectives) visit with all residents/clients while daily giving priority to those in greatest need.
- Interview chapel speakers for an evaluation of where they stand spiritually in regards to BCM’s statement of faith and core values. Carry out goals of the pastoral care department
- Interview prospective new hires for an evaluation of where they stand spiritually in regards to BCM’s statement of faith and core values and their personal walk with the Lord.
- Supervise and evaluate clients progress through spiritual journey and programs
- Offer religious and spiritual guidance to residents/clients, staff and administrators.
- Participate in committee resident/client conferences to enhance the continuity of care for residents
- Represent the organization to all clients, volunteers and fellow co-workers in a Christ like manner that serves as an example of Christian behavior.
- All other duties and responsibilities as needed by BCM.
Education and Experience:
- Certification by an accredited pastoral body. Ordination or license preferred.
- Biblical studies, Human Services, or related field plus 1 year of pastoral experience.
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Pastor’s heart & displays skills and competencies in pastoral care.
- Requires flexibility in work hours, programs, and services.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- In the midst of a mature walk with Jesus Christ and able to articulate belief.
- Solid standing in the Church through ecclesiastical endorsement.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
- Knowledge of community resources for homeless adults and children.
- Ability to articulate the ethical and religious directives for the Mission.
- Ability to lead and coordinate prayer.
- Ability to facilitate group process.
- Ability and desire to work with clergy and volunteers of varying faith backgrounds
- Teamwork -Relates well to all kinds of people regardless of level inside or outside of the organization. Uses diplomacy and tact when dealing with and interacting with others. Diffuses tension. Fosters collegial and cooperative attitudes. Works effectively to achieve common goals.
- Communication Intelligence – Understands and demonstrates behaviors consistent with the mission and values of the organization while contributing to the overall success of the strategic plan.
- Client Focus - Understands and meets customer needs, whether internal or external, providing a high level of service and cooperation courteousness & sensitivity)
- Initiative & Adaptability - Deals with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities along with a personal willingness and ability to respond to changes.
- Mission: Christian beliefs compatible with the spiritual and pastoral mission of the Buffalo City Mission. Act as knowledgeable and effective ambassador to the community.
- Accountability: Willingly accepts personal responsibility for decisions, actions, attitudes and behaviors that contribute to the overall effectiveness of the organization. Communicates effectively, follows through on assignments, uses resources efficiently, participates in learning opportunities and treats others with respect and dignity.
- Excellence: Serves as a role model and performs job responsibilities to the highest standards in every situation. Demonstrates commitment to quality of service.
- Focus: Understands and demonstrates behaviors consistent with the mission and values of the organization while contributing to the overall success of the strategic plan.