Store Associates are responsible for working with their store team of staff and volunteers to manage all aspects of day-to-day retail operations as needed and directed by leadership. A typical shift involves loading and unloading vehicles, guiding volunteers, cashiering, and providing customer service. Store Associates are expected to perform all tasks safely, efficiently, and effectively, and to use polite and respectful communication with co-workers, volunteers, and customers. This position requires energy and motivation as well as a connection to the Habitat mission.
Store Associates report to the Store Manager, have a starting hourly wage of $15.00, and receive benefits including paid time off, a matching retirement plan, the employee assistance program (EAP), and a store discount.
- Customer service excellence, including greeting and assisting customers, loading and measuring items, answering questions, and cashiering
- Greet donors, accept and inspect donations that meet our criteria, and decline those that do not
- Train volunteers to complete tasks, and support them with reviews and follow-up
- Clean and price donations
- Stock merchandise on the sales floor
- Clean and organize the store, including receiving areas, break rooms, rest rooms, and outdoor areas
- Manage opening and closing of the store
- Other duties as needed
- One year customer service experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in working in a team with staff and volunteers, following the lead and direction of leadership
- Ability and desire to maintain a clean and organized work environment
- Time management skills, including managing donation flow urgency and timely arrival for shifts
- Ability, or willingness to learn, to correctly and safely use tools and equipment, such as a forklift, pallet jack, and dolly
- Knowledge of, and desire to follow, safety requirements as well as the ability to ensure that store team members do the same
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn, communication tools, such as telephone, email, and 2-way radio
- Ability to adapt to a changing work environment, and learn new operations skills as program develops
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience volunteering
Work Environment and Physical Demands
- This job operates in an open, warehouse retail environment
- This position is very active and requires consistent standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing
- This employee must frequently lift, move, and/or load items over 50 pounds with mechanical assistance and/or a team lift
- 20-29 hours per week, varied, weekends required
Requested Application Materials
- Cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position
- Job application
- Three professional references
Employment is contingent on passing a background check.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East hires a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding that a diverse workforce strengthens our organization. We value diversity and support a positive and welcoming environment where all employees can thrive.
Habitat for Humanity Portland/Metro East is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.