POSITION SUMMARY: The Financial Aid Manager will oversee all of AJAC’s apprenticeship financial aid activities under the supervision of the Director of Grants and Special projects. This new position at AJAC is being established to manage existing and new sources of financial aid for pre-apprentices and apprentices enrolled in AJAC courses at community and technical colleges across the state. The nature of the work is professional, and requires an ability to interpret and work in accordance with federal, state and college rules, policies, and regulations. The position will be responsible for the development of new partnerships, policies, and procedures aimed at making better connections between program participants and available sources of private, state, and federal sources of financial aid. This position will also provide direct advising, data collection, document gathering, and award notification to eligible AJAC participants.
The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to the following:
• Manage and coordinate all aspects of AJAC’s new financial aid processes/program
• Advise and refer students on financial aid awarding, placement, and fund disbursement
• Analyze and Evaluate Documentation to Determine Financial Aid File Completion, and Student Eligibility, Perform File Review and Award Federal, State and Local Financial Aid
• Advise participants, staff, and other interested parties regarding rules and regulations related to different state and federal financial aid programs, and work independently to resolve student problems or issues.
• Review student files to ensure submission of required documents, accuracy of documents, and initial eligibility for financial aid funds
• Attend training conferences, meetings, and other related information sessions in order to construct financial aid processes at AJAC
• Work with program teams and marketing manager to ensure that public facing information is up to date and easy to navigate for participants
• Communicate with finance offices at colleges as well as AJAC’s Business Services team to ensure proper tracking of funds, and disbursement to students as intended
• Reconcile funds as needed or required
• Coordinate and collaborate with departments that provide support services that assist students in overcoming obstacles and problems they encounter.
• Draft letters to notify students with issues or problems related to financial aid eligibility and missing information.
• Create documents that offer clear steps students need to take to resolve eligibility issues and other problems
• Track legislative, Department of Education (ED), the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC), and Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) issues as appropriate, and inform AJAC staff of changes to rules and regulations
• Develop processes, policies, and procedures needed to stay in compliance with new or changing regulations, and provide training to other staff
• Perform other duties as required
• Experience in post-secondary student services and/or financial aid supportive services
• Strong attention to detail, ability to manage complex tasks big and small
• Proficiency in MS Word and Excel
• Knowledge of basic financial aid programs