New Opportunities mission is to improve the quality of life for economically disadvantaged individuals by providing the necessary resources to increase their standard of living, foster self-improvement, and maximize self-empowerment.
Headquartered in Waterbury, New Opportunities Inc. (NOI) is the community action agency that serves Waterbury, Meriden, Torngton, Winsted and 27 surrounding Connecticut towns. We offer a variety of social service programs designed to eliminate poverty and assist people in need.
In accordance with the mission of New Opportunities, the Agency aims to increase the self-sufficiency of its customers and support their move out of poverty. New Opportunities administers more than 50 social service programs targeted to the low-income, elderly and disabled communities and employees approximately 275 full time, part time and seasonal staff.
The current President and CEO of New Opportunities, Inc. will retire in January 2021, after more than 42 years as the President and CEO. During his tenure services were expanded through a focus on strategic collaborations and community partnerships, which have been essential to New Opportunities.
The President/CEO is accountable to the Board of Directors of New Opportunties and provides leadership to preserve the legacy and continued growth and success of New Opportunities, Inc. The CEO is responsible for the development and execution of the strategic plan and for NOI’s overall financial, programmatic, and operational performance. The new President and CEO will follow a tenured leader, requiring experienced and thoughtful leadership skills to honor the past while guiding an innovative strategy to ensure continued financial support for the organization’s people and mission.
The President and CEO will lead an executive team of eight and an organization of more than 250 employees. The President and CEO reports to the Board of Directors, comprised of 1/3 elected officials, 1/3 private sector and 1/3 low-income representatives
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and maintains an internal culture that promotes and fosters high standards of ethics and integrity. Serves as a role model promoting passion for New Opportunities mission, reinforcing organizational values, and encouraging quality and innovation.
- Provides inspirational leadership to a diverse group of leaders by crafting a shared vision, making sure it is clearly communicated, and holding leaders accountable for successful execution.
- Takes responsibility for ongoing assessment to ensure New Opportunities operations, programs. people, and customers are poised for continued growth and success.
- With an emphasis on diversity and inclusion, attracts, develops and retains a high performing team of engaged employees.
- Leads a complex operational structure
Board of Directors
- Works in partnership with the Board of Directors and Board Chair to support and guide NOI’s governance and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with the Board, working to set NOI’s strategic direction and policies, enabling the organization to adapt to a constantly changing external environment.
- Provides timely updates to the Board to ensure informed and effective decision making.
- Develops agendas for all Board meetings and Executive Committee meetings.
- Leads Board development efforts to ensure optimal Board performance with emphasis on promoting a Board composition representative of the communities and individuals served.
- Reviews and analyzes the operation and general management of the organization to determine its effectiveness and makes necessary changes to improve its effectiveness.
- Leads by example, demonstrating belief in New Opportunities mission and philosophy.
- Fosters an environment that empowers the executive and senior leadership and leverages the strengths of each team member. Promotes collaboration, trust and teamwork.
- Cultivates talent for future opportunities - grows talent internally and identifies talent externally to ensure that New Opportunities has a steady stream of diverse future leaders and ensuring sustainability.
- Serves as a key community leader, championing the mission, vision, and interests of New Opportunities and ensuring it is understood by both internal and external constituencies.
- Builds strategic relationships with vital business, community, and political leaders in the areas served, as well as like-minded non-profits and government entities.
- Works with appropriate community and regional and state planning bodies concerned with youth, adults, and seniors..
- Champions new programs that improve service to the communities we serve.
- Acts as the public face and official spokesperson for New Opportunities and is available to the community for speaking engagements, presentations, etc.
Qualities and Requirements
The ideal candidate will be an innovative and inspiring leader with at least 10 years of successful management experience in an organization of comparable or larger size and complexity. They should have a proven track record in an executive leadership role, demonstrating measurable success in leading the development and implementation of programs and initiatives to achieve organizational goals and objectives. As such, the successful candidate will possess the skills, knowledge, and passion to strengthen the organization internally, positioning it for continued success, while promoting it effectively within the community. The CEO’s leadership will extend to the broader community New Opportunities serves, enhancing the organization’s role as a valued community partner.
- Executive leadership experience in large not-for-profit company required.
- Experience in many, if not all, CEO functions, including interfacing with diverse Boards, managing a major budgetary function, overseeing contract management, grant management, fundraising and program delivery.
- Minimum 4-year degree required, Master’s Degree in Public or Business Administration or Urban Planning preferred.
- Mission-driven, focused, passionate, and energetic.
- Team oriented, collaborative, actively seeks others’ thoughts, and actively listens.
- Results-driven and a self-starter, flexible and able to prioritize multiple tasks, set priorities and ensure implementation against deadlines.
- Demonstrated record of maturity, sound judgment, integrity, and adherence to ethical standards.
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain a diverse and inclusive organization through providing leadership in creating a vision and mission, developing strategies, and implementing action plans.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead change, has a commanding and credible public presence coupled with composed demeanor under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to be visionary, able to think, act and influence others in ways that promote the success of the organization, to inspire and motivate staff and community members and to build a high-performing team.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, build and sustain productive relationships with multiple and diverse constituencies, both internal and external, including business, civic, and community leaders, government agencies, and the media.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fiscal management principles and procedures, understands the business and financial implications of decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively problem solve, decisive with keen analytical and critical thinking capabilities that support and enable sound decision making.
- Demonstrated record of exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written, to position and promote New Opportunties mission in a compelling and influencing manner.
Benefits and Rewards
- Competitive base pay and benefits
- Opportunity to work for one of the most well-known and well-respected organizations dedicated to enhancing the lives of those in our communities.