The Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum has an opening for a grant-funded full-time exempt Cataloging Registrar in the Digital & Library Collections Department for 24 months.
Company Overview: The Country Music Hall of Fame® and Museum seeks to collect, preserve, and interpret the evolving history and traditions of country music. Through exhibits, publications, and educational programs, the museum teaches its diverse audiences about the enduring beauty and cultural importance of country music.
Departmental Overview: In direct support of the mission statement of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the Digital & Library Collections Departmental mission is to preserve and protect its collections; using best practices and available and emerging technologies to provide appropriate access to these collections.
Job Overview: The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum seeks a Cataloging Registrar to inventory, rehouse, and catalog, the Museum’s growing collections and for enabling curatorial, scholarly, and public access to that collection.
The goals of the position are to preserve and provide organized access to the collection; to create, organize, and migrate metadata about the collection to the museum’s digital archive; and to rehouse with care unprocessed collections. Training will be provided for some aspects of the technical work, and metadata capture and workflow specific to this project.
Specific Job Duties:
• Maintains organization, cataloging, and back of house processing of donations to collection.
• Photograph and edit 3D objects at preservation quality and create access derivatives for digital archives and web.
• Answers (external and internal—programs, exhibits, education) reference requests for 3D object collection via phone, email, and in person.
• Properly handle fragile and rare archival materials.
• Support the preparation of materials for digitization.
• Catalog in Past Perfect 3D objects not selected for digitization.
• Catalog in CONTENTdm objects selected for digitization.
• Re-house analog items.
• Reports to Director of Digital & Library Collections.
• Cataloging or Metadata Creation experience.
• Ability to adopt new and changing technologies.
• Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution.
• Experience handling fragile and rare archival materials.
• Adobe Photoshop.
• Experience with CONTENTdm or similar digital asset management system.
• Experience with Past Perfect.
Essential Competencies (Knowledge, Skills and abilities needed for success in the position):
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Sound judgment to identify and report problems to supervisors and contribute to resolving them.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must pass a background check