About the Company:
CORMETECH, Inc. was founded in 1989, and provides environmental engineering solutions and services to the North American and world's power, marine, industrial-process, refinery, and petrochemical markets. It is servicing the growth needs of the U.S. power generating fleet to comply with increasingly stringent environmental regulations in a cost-effective way.
CORMETECH has fully dedicated, state-of-the art manufacturing facilities, research and development centers and testing laboratories in Charlotte (NC), Cleveland (TN), Durham (NC), and Kings Mountain (NC).
All full-time employees are eligible for benefits on day one of employment!
The Development Lab Technician I is responsible for the operation of pilot scale lab equipment which can include mixing powders, extruding batch material, drying and calcining extrudates, dipping extrudates, testing batch/extrudate properties (moisture, plasticity, abrasion, strength testing) according to prescribed procedures and internal standards. The technician also supports the introduction of new products, processes, and equipment into production.
• Weighs specific quantities of varying types of ingredients.
• Mixes ingredients in proper sequence and proportions and follows detailed processing instructions.
• Operates mixing equipment and maintains control over time, moisture removal, temperature, pressure, rpm, energy, power, or other variables.
• Observes gauges and display screens to monitor and control the operating conditions of lab scaled mixers, extruders, dryers and calciners. Reports accurately the specific process outputs like peak time, energy, average power, and temperature. Documents observations and operation conditions of lab process equipment.
• Assesses final mix visually and uses appropriate batch testing equipment like moisture balances, curdmeter, and pH meter. Makes batch adjustments if required to meet final batch specifications.
• Operates the extrusion equipment and measures and reports extrudate speed, extrusion throughput, and extruder temperature & pressure. Maintains operation condition of extruder by taking apart and cleaning screw and barrel segments. In order to maintain suitable honeycomb extrusion the technician must be able to use different die hardware to maintain a uniform flow profile during extrusion.
• In drying the technician must operate humidity and temperature controlled drying equipment correctly and performs experimental tests like moisture, weight loss, and dimensional measurements on extrudates.
• Supports development experiments in the production area. Tasks include collecting samples, testing samples, and analysis of processing and sample data. Able to use a microscope in order to troubleshoot problems.
• B.S. or A.S. in a scientific, engineering, or other technical field. Demonstrated work experience in a technical field will also be considered.
• Must be able to pass a drug screen and background check
• Computer knowledge – Able to use Microsoft Outlook and Office (Excel & PowerPoint). Able to create graphs to analyze data.
1st shift position with hours of 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. Need flexibility to work 2nd shift (3:00 pm – 11:30 pm) 10-20% of time as needed.
This position is very active and requires standing, walking bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, and climbing stairs/ladders. The employee must be able to lift/push/pull up to 40 pounds.
Cormetech, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The success of Cormetech depends upon attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified people regardless of race, color, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran’s status.