Position Title: Community Health Worker
Program: Community Health Worker Communication and Outreach Services Program (CHWCOS)
Classification: Non-Exempt, Temporary, Part-Time (up to 20 hours per week)
Salary: $17.00 -$18.00 per hour; Commensurate with experience
Summary and Range of Authority: To support the vision of Live Well San Diego, the County of San Diego is committed to providing education and outreach to deliver critical information related to COVID-19 to vulnerable populations. The County of San Diego plans to utilize Community Health Workers within the community to assist with their efforts in providing support and resources that will prevent and slow the spread of COVID-19. A Community Health Worker is a trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding of the community served. This trusting relationship enables the worker to serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality of service delivery
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Community Health Workers to provide education and outreach about COVID-19.
- Community Health Workers shall be trusted member of and/or has an unusually close understanding of the community served.
- Serve as a liaison/link/intermediary between health services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality of service delivery.
- Coordinates peer education programs with other partner agencies, religious organizations, community outlets and gatherings, etc.
- Assists Program Manager in research and development activities as needed.
- Direct services will include education about Covid-19 at various locations to target populations.
- Provide referrals to additional services in the community.
- Provide peer counseling, including support and education on how to navigate the health care system.
- Provide outreach to promote specific testing locations identified by the County and encourage and assist individuals to schedule an appointment or participate in a walk-in testing site.
- Provide accurate and relevant COVID-19 information including general education and awareness regarding COVID-19 including how it spreads, symptoms and prevention.
- Utilize existing relationships and partnerships with groups already working in the community addressing COVID-19 community needs.
- Participate in the collaborative opportunities to promote sharing of best practices, leveraging partnership opportunities and ensure accurate messaging across Community Health Worker contracted entities.
- Other duties as requested.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Bilingual in the language of target population (Karen, Karenni, Burmese, Cambodian, Thai, Samoan.
- Access to reliable transportation
- Understanding of cultural competency in the delivery of services
- Familiarity with community resources
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, prioritize and successfully bring them to fruition
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with regard to sensitive or proprietary information or materials
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with regard to client information and other sensitive or proprietary information
- Ability to communicate mental health principles to clients, families and providers
- Ability to work independently and also collaborate as a member of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to prepare written reports accurately and records of services rendered in a timely fashion
- Will not be debarred or excluded from participation in Federal programs by the General Services Administration and/or the Department of Health and Human Services of the Inspector General
- Must pass background check (Live Scan Fingerprint).
- Must be able to drive (when needed) for business purposes to other program locations in San Diego County. If employee drives his/her personal automobile for UPAC business, employee must have valid California driver’s license and comprehensive automobile insurance coverage, as required by law.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Spends approximately 70% of work time sitting and meeting with others or working at a desk and/or computer. Spends approximately 30% of work time standing or walking within the work area or outside the office at meetings and events, also bends, twists, stoops and reaches. Ability to communicate in writing and verbally. Regularly required to sit and talk or hear. Frequently is required to use hands to touch, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Working conditions are normal for an office environment and event venues. The noise level is usually moderate.